need help after first test

All I can tell you from that is your pH is too low, the limit of the test is 6.8 so it may be even lower than indicated, and chances are your FC is too low, but we can't tell for sure without knowing your CYA level. What chemicals have you added so far?

All I can tell you from that is your pH is too low, the limit of the test is 6.8 so it may be even lower than indicated, and chances are your FC is too low, but we can't tell for sure without knowing your CYA level. What chemicals have you added so far?

Friday: 7 ounce shock. 5 lbs ez clor calcium elevator. 2 lbs ez clor clor save.
back to pool shop with water
Saturday: 4 ounce ez clor ph up. 1ounce ez clor shimmer and shine. 2 lbs ez clor clor save stabilizer.

Monday test myself with 5 way kit in blue box.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Can you define what "7 oz of shock" means? That could mean about 10 different products all with different effects.

I am not sure what all those products are that you are adding, but I am sure they cost more money than the grocery store equivalents:Recommended Pool Chemicals

Given the size of the pool, you may want to review and follow this method: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/155-guide-for-seasonal-temporary-pools

I used 7 ounces of --E-Z CLOR – SUPER SHOCK-IT 73%--This premium grade fast acting calcium hypochlorite granules that can be broadcast directly into the pool, eliminating messy mixing. Restores sparkle and sheen to pool water as it kills germs, destroys algae and organic contaminants. Super Shock-It contains 73% available chlorine.

Going to study the links you posted, thank you.

OK, so that is cal-hypo and is adding calcium (CH) to your pool. It is also a possible source of the cloudiness.

Generally it is easier to just stick with liquid chlorine.

OK, so that is cal-hypo and is adding calcium (CH) to your pool. It is also a possible source of the cloudiness.

Generally it is easier to just stick with liquid chlorine.

I am working through the links. I am moving to household bleach. Is it true that bleach takes the place of both the shock treatment and the dispenser with pucks.

I should just take the dispenser out and test the water each day and add bleach to keep the fc between 1 and 3?

Trichlor tablets add FC and stabilizer (CYA) and lower the pH. The stabilizer builds up and requires you to maintain higher FC levels. See FC/CYA Chart.

It is usually easier to just add the CYA separately to hit a target (30-50ppm) and then maintain the FC daily using bleach.

If you maintain the FC above the minimum for you CYA at all time, algae will not grow and there will never be a need to "shock" on some schedule.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The most important thing is to keep your chlorine level above the minimum level for your CYA level on the Chlorine CYA Chart. Allowing FC to drop below the min will let algae start growing. The next most important is to keep your PH between 7.2 and 7.8. See links below on how to adjust it and what to adjust it to. We can work on TA and CH later.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

- - - Updated - - -

Oooops, sorry I interrupted the teachable moment! :)

What do you think is next? What has your reading taught you?

Curious that your CYA is that high already? Did you add stabilizer separately? How many pucks did you use?

According to my reading, fc should be between 5 and 7. I am at 7.5 It seems a bit high, since it goes away on its own, this means I just won't add any bleach until it drops to 6.

ph of 7.2 is on the low side should be 7.5-7.8. I need to read more and learn how to raise ph. I have "ez clor ph up" from the pool store before i use it again, I want to read and make sure it is what I should be using.

I did add stabilizer separately on two occasions. I used 4 lbs total of "ez clor clor save stabilizer" from the pool store. On 5/15 and 5/16 2 lbs each time.

- - - Updated - - -

The most important thing is to keep your chlorine level above the minimum level for your CYA level on the Chlorine CYA Chart. Allowing FC to drop below the min will let algae start growing. The next most important is to keep your PH between 7.2 and 7.8. See links below on how to adjust it and what to adjust it to. We can work on TA and CH later.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

- - - Updated - - -

Oooops, sorry I interrupted the teachable moment! :)

Thanks for replying.

As long as the pH is in the 7s you are fine.

You should stop using any solid chlorine as your CH and CYA are already getting up there. Stick with bleach.

As pooldv said, the most important thing is to keep the FC above the minimum, there is no problem going above the target if needed. It is perfectly safe to swim all the way up to shock level FC.

Looks like you are picking up on things pretty well :goodjob:

- - - Updated - - -

Doh, just saw Tim's post ... that is not good.

You can use that product if needed, although you may never need it.

As Tim said, though, you may have added way too much CYA and need to replace half the water. The CYA may not show up on the test for up to a week.

You can use that product if needed, although you may never need it.

As Tim said, though, you may have added way too much CYA and need to replace half the water. The CYA may not show up on the test for up to a week.

I'll start the 50% drain and refill. Thanks for every-ones help.

Less, pouring things in and more reading and asking questions here, not in the pool store going forward.

If you added everything you said you did, then I would expect the CYA to top out above 100ppm.

You can certainly wait, but make sure you are keeping your FC high enough for the climbing CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.