Pump died

Treowe

May 18, 2015
Murphy NC
Opened pool, 30,000 gal salt water IG. One day in, pump starts smoking. New motor on its way. How can I maintain pool water til filter is up and running again. I put 2 sump pumps in to keep the water moving a bit but is there anything I can do to prevent algae bloom or whatever else.

I just had a similar situation; my pump was off for 3 days from a power outage. I brushed the pool once or twice a day to circulate the water and tested FC to make sure it stayed at an appropriate level. I only had to add bleach once. Also use a leaf rake to get debris out of the water.

Thanks for the advice. So far the water is still clear but I know that can change in a heartbeat.

Welcome to TFP!

The most important part is to keep your chlorine level above the minimum level for your CYA level on the Chlorine CYA Chart. Allowing FC to drop below the min will let algae start growing.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.