UltraTemp and EasyTouch

JeepTX

May 17, 2015
Dallas, TX
Hi there! Just officially joined the forums, but have to admit - I've been lurking and reading and have appreciated the incredible knowledge and advice that everyone is sharing!

We've had some major back yard remodeling which has resulted in pretty much a complete replacement of all pool equipment and renovating the pool itself. It's just about a week into being filled back up and getting restarted - and I'm trying to get familiar with all the new toys.

I have an EasyTouch load center panel - and have also added in an UltraTemp heat pump. I'm trying to figure out how to get the setup to maintain a consistent temperature for the pool (no spa, just pool). I've scheduled the pump to run for about 9 hours at 1500 RPM (its an IntelliFlo VS). When the pump kicks on, the UltraTemp kicks in too and starts to work to bring the pool up to temp. But... when the schedule is complete, the pump and UltraTemp turn off - even though the temp hasn't been reached.

How should I have things configured so that the UltraTemp can keep the pool at a consistent temp? I hate the idea of running the IntelliFlo all day if I don't have to (or am I nuts to not want to do that?).

Apologies in advance if it's been answered - I tried some searching and didn't find a situation that seemed to deal with this. Thanks for your help!

Ed

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Often the automation system can not turn on the pump when heat is demanded, because it can not get a good read on the water temp when the pump is not running.

I assume you should have an option like my ProLogic does. For the heater, I have an "Extend" option which will keep the pump running after its shutoff time if heat is still needed. I have this set on my Solar heater so if the sun is still heating the panels and the pool needs the heat, it will keep the pump running.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Often the automation system can not turn on the pump when heat is demanded, because it can not get a good read on the water temp when the pump is not running.

I assume you should have an option like my ProLogic does. For the heater, I have an "Extend" option which will keep the pump running after its shutoff time if heat is still needed. I have this set on my Solar heater so if the sun is still heating the panels and the pool needs the heat, it will keep the pump running.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding an 'extend' option. From what I've been able to find regarding the EasyTouch/IntelliTouch system from Pentair, there's not a similar option... Ugh!

It looks as if the only logical way to get the heat pump to come on and off as needed throughout the day and night to maintain the pool temp is to have the pump schedule run 24/7. Granted, with the IntelliFlo VS I can set it to run at a very low RPM (say 750), and have it kick up speed if the heat pump comes on.

Anyone have a similar setup or situation? Any concerns with running in the above 'all day' mode?

Thx!

Ed

Don't know about the extend mode. But, there is no issue running your pump at low speed 24x7. Mine often runs at 1100rpm 24x7 to keep all the tree stuff skimmed off the pool.

Seems to me that the easytouch could have a temp set, would turn on the pump to check temp and turn on the heat pump if temp was under the set point. I will do some more research later on this because I am considering getting a Pentair heat pump also.

I hate to bump an older thread, but recent research has lead me here. The easy touch has an option under solar heating that allows you to select> Solar is a heat pump. I would imagine in this fashion, the heat pump is treated like a solar heater and will run the heat pump as long as the desired temperature has not been reached or the ambient temperature is not high enough to sustain continued operation.

I am not 100% certain on this, but it would make sense because this is an option under the solar heating menu. The Easytouch also has an option to select a ThermalFlo heat pump, I'm not sure how this applies to the newer UltraTemps or other brands or even how the operation would even change.

The way my Solartouch works to control pool heating with solar is with set points for on and off. It will open the solar valve and increase the pump speed when the pool water is below the target temp and the solar temp is 2 or 3 degrees above the water temp. It will close the valve and lower pump speed when the water reaches the target temp or the solar temp drops below the water temp, from clouds, rain, etc. My guess is the logic is the same for the Easytouch.

But, the pump must be running in the first place for the water temp sensor to get the correct water temp. I leave my pump running at 1100 rpm (150w). As opposed to my hot tub which turns on the pump every xx min (30?), checks water temp, heats to set point and shuts off.

The solar setup does indeed work the same on the Easytouch.

I must assume that with a heat pump installed in place of solar heating that if the pump is running, the heat pump is also running unless the desired temperature is met.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Couple of things...

Easytouch doesn't have a maintain temp feature. The Jandy RS series does, but not the Easytouch. While at first it sounds like a good idea, i've had fewer complaints with any other option with automation than the maintain temp feature. Customers would turn that feature on not realizing that it would turn the system on periodically for a short period of time outside of the programmed run time. This is so the system could "sample" the pool water temp, and turn on the heater if needed. Problem was, it would do this all through the day... AND night! If the customers' bedroom shared a wall with the equipment, and/or didn't understand just how the feature worked, i would get a call.

Switching the heat pump feature on and off in the solar menu merely switches control from a valve actuator(physical) to a switch(electrical).

You can try running the pump that low (750rpm), however, i would monitor the pump for a while at that speed. 750 is kinda low. At that speed you may experience low frequency noise, vibration, or shaking of the pump/motor. I would suggest at least 1000 rpm, you will still see significant reduction in energy use even at that speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.