Pool water contaminates drinking water?

Ke

Sep 29, 2007
Toronto
Our pool has an electronic water fill device, when the pool level drops, the sensor will open a solenoid valve to let water in. The water is from the backyard water supply that also feeds the sprinkler system, the output from the solenoid valve is connected to the water return right after the pool heater with a T-joint, since there isn't a separate return line from the solenoid valve into the pool, I am worried that when the valve is open, the pool water can backflow into the house. The water pressure at the filter is about 15 psi, what is the psi of a typical city water supply, will it be large enough to prevent backflow? Maybe I should install a check valve to prevent back flow, or am I worrying too much?

The biggest concern is what happens in the event the water pressure on the main line drops due to a main break, power failure, pump failure, etc. Most plumbing codes in the US require the use of a vacuum break type of anti-siphon valve on any lines that feed a pool, sprinkler system or other use that could allow untreated water to be siphoned back into the main water lines as the pressure drops. Here are a few valves:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ogId=10053

Perhaps you already have such a valve upstream, since your pool feed is coming from the sprinkler supply line???

Harry I could not have said it better. I believe that all pool owners that have an auto fill valve need a back flow preventer. There are a lot of very good DIY out there and this is something everyone should look at. Not only do they need to be installed but they should be tested yearly. Thank you I'll get off of my soap box.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.