Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool water contaminates drinking water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool water contaminates drinking water?

Our pool has an electronic water fill device, when the pool level drops, the sensor will open a solenoid valve to let water in. The water is from the backyard water supply that also feeds the sprinkler system, the output from the solenoid valve is connected to the water return right after the pool heater with a T-joint, since there isn't a separate return line from the solenoid valve into the pool, I am worried that when the valve is open, the pool water can backflow into the house. The water pressure at the filter is about 15 psi, what is the psi of a typical city water supply, will it be large enough to prevent backflow? Maybe I should install a check valve to prevent back flow, or am I worrying too much?
    OH TWINS
    San Juan 8500 gal Fiberglass Pool, Sta-Rite Max-E 1 HP pump, Star-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter 300 sq. ft,
    Sta-Rite Max-E 200,000 BTU gas heater, Aqua Logic SWG with P-4 panel. Goldline wireless remote control,
    3 Jandy Neverlube Valves with Goldline motorized control, iRobot Verro 500 pool cleaner
    5 Poolstar 1000 LED Lights, LED strip light at waterfall, Prozone Ozonator PZ7 with degasser column,
    Jandy Auto Waterfill, Aquamatic motorized pool cover, Poolbuster Max CC handheld vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool water contaminates drinking water?

If your pool fill water comes from the outside sprinkler line, there should be a BACK FLOW PREVENTER installed. If working right there should be no pool water that could come back. In gen. most city water supply between 45 PSI. to 80 PSI.
    15x30 AG
    Cartridge Filter
    Solar Heater
    1.0 HP 2 Speed pump
    + 2 KIDS

3. Back To Top    #3

What is a back flow preventor, is it like a check valve?
    OH TWINS
    San Juan 8500 gal Fiberglass Pool, Sta-Rite Max-E 1 HP pump, Star-Rite System 3 Cartridge Filter 300 sq. ft,
    Sta-Rite Max-E 200,000 BTU gas heater, Aqua Logic SWG with P-4 panel. Goldline wireless remote control,
    3 Jandy Neverlube Valves with Goldline motorized control, iRobot Verro 500 pool cleaner
    5 Poolstar 1000 LED Lights, LED strip light at waterfall, Prozone Ozonator PZ7 with degasser column,
    Jandy Auto Waterfill, Aquamatic motorized pool cover, Poolbuster Max CC handheld vacuum.

4. Back To Top    #4

Our PB called it an anti-siphon valve.
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze Tsunami's Pool Build

5. Back To Top    #5

This link is an article about irrigation and backflow protection.
    http://www.src4.org/ed/PNWS-3.pdf
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

6. Back To Top    #6

The biggest concern is what happens in the event the water pressure on the main line drops due to a main break, power failure, pump failure, etc. Most plumbing codes in the US require the use of a vacuum break type of anti-siphon valve on any lines that feed a pool, sprinkler system or other use that could allow untreated water to be siphoned back into the main water lines as the pressure drops. Here are a few valves:
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ogId=10053

Perhaps you already have such a valve upstream, since your pool feed is coming from the sprinkler supply line???
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

7. Back To Top    #7

Harry I could not have said it better. I believe that all pool owners that have an auto fill valve need a back flow preventer. There are a lot of very good DIY out there and this is something everyone should look at. Not only do they need to be installed but they should be tested yearly. Thank you I'll get off of my soap box.
    15x30 AG
    Cartridge Filter
    Solar Heater
    1.0 HP 2 Speed pump
    + 2 KIDS

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone. We are closing the pool in about a week. I will install a backflow preventer in the spring.
    OH TWINS