extension cord use with an outdoor above ground pool pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2015
jonesville, nc
We recently purchased a 15 ft x 48 " intex pool. It says not to use an extension cord with the pump. But the pump cord is short about 15 ft from where our outdoor outlet is. Is there an extension cord that would be safe to use with this and does anyone know what type. The pump is 15amp. I am confused and don't know what to do. We have already put the pool up and realized the pump cord doesn't reach to the outlet. Help anyone please

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You can not use an extension cord ... it is not safe.

You either need to run conduit and install a new GFCI protected outlet near the pump or move the pump over to the existing outlet and extend the plumbing.

Well, mine has been plugged into an extension cord for like... 8+ years. When I first started I didn't know that wasn't how it's done and... Well I have never changed it. I never thought of extending the plumbing but fore that wouldn't be doable as the outlet is all the way down my side yard. So I guess I'd be more inclined to call an electrician (someday). If you do... Post back here. I have no idea how much it would cost!

Your temporary work around is to not allow anyone to swim while the pump is running or plugged in. Plug your pump in at night on a gfi rated extension cord and unplug the pump in the morning.

I agree with zea. When I moved in my house this is how the previous homeowners had it (with an extension cord) after finding out how dangerous it can be, I installed conduit and a GFCI rated outlet closer. But if you do this your local codes may require it to be a certain distance from the pool also. So you may need to move the pump back anyway. But definitely do one of the above recommended. I've heard many horror stories of people getting electrocuted and even dieing by not having a properly grounded pool. Yikes!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What about wiring a longer cord directly to the pump? that would be easier than installing a new plug. I guess the prob with an extersion cord is the plugs could be laying in water on the ground?
UL listings are based on how the product left the factory. Changing out the cord set voids the UL listing of the product. It may work, but I'm not willing to test it.

What about wiring a longer cord directly to the pump? that would be easier than installing a new plug. I guess the prob with an extersion cord is the plugs could be laying in water on the ground?

How would I go about extending the plumbing which seems to be the better way to go for me. Any ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

How do I extend the plumbing? What would I need to purchase.. This is becoming a pain. We just wanted a pool and didn't realize the pump wasn't going to fit the outlet outside. Our yard slopes in front and back so where we have it is the only level place for it. Maybe I should just forget it and sell it. Any ideas or suggestions. please help. Thanks

Anyone remember that your not supposed to run the pump on the intex pools anyways while swimming? You can purchased outdoor rated extension cords that are used by construction trades, but I would suggest having an underground conduit install instead. Probably cost you couple hundred, unless you have a friend whom is a licensed electrician to do it for you.

How would I go about extending the plumbing which seems to be the better way to go for me. Any ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

How do I extend the plumbing? What would I need to purchase.. This is becoming a pain. We just wanted a pool and didn't realize the pump wasn't going to fit the outlet outside. Our yard slopes in front and back so where we have it is the only level place for it. Maybe I should just forget it and sell it. Any ideas or suggestions. please help. Thanks

You can go to your local hardware store and get longer hoses.

I am going to muddy up this discussion but, hopefully clear up something too. The NEC does not have much in the way of codes for storable pools and in some instances goes out of its way to avoid the discussion on them. However, it does speak to this very topic in article 680.7 (A).

680.7 Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment. Fixed or stationary equipment other than an underwater luminaire for permanently installed pools, storable pools, outdoor spas, outdoor hot tubs, or fountains can be cord-and-plug-connected to facilitate removal or disconnection for maintenance or repair.
(A) Length. Except for storable pools, the cord must not exceed 3 ft.

The NEC does not specify a maximum length for storable pools. It does not allow for extension cords to be used but a properly fitted longer cord of the proper outdoor rated material can be fitted. Again the water gets a little murky if the pump is UL listed with the cord it came with and it is replaced with a longer one.

I really need to call someone and find out how much it would cost to get an outlet put out there somewhere.

Actually I was planning on doing it this year. Probably should before something happens. I know it's not safe.

Hi beens. If you have a family member or a friend who is an electrician, you can do this on your own. My brother and I did mine here at the house for under $100 and wired it right to the breaker box. My pump doesn't have an on/off switch so I just flip it at the box in the garage. It's wired to a gfci at the pool. I did all the digging for the trench and ran the wires up the wall and through the rafters to the box for him n he tied it in. The worst part for me was digging the 3ft trench 3ft deep through hard clay n gravel. It kicked my butt. lol

I run my Intex pool with a 100' extension cord. Am I worried? No. I only run the pump at night. I don't think that it is a real safety issue anyway. I am using a GFI outlet.
If you want to abide by the rule book then the pump should never be run when people are in the pool anyway. Also no jumping into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.