"opening" the Intex - slimy leafy mess!

Jun 15, 2010
What is the quickest, easiest, least expensive and most effective way to clean this now that I've drained it? I'm dreading this part - but mostly because I'm not sure where to start...

Attachments

• pool debris.jpg
    pool debris.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 101
You will probably have the best luck puttin 1ft of water back in and using a leaf net to scoop it out. Don't leave your pool empty for too long or your liner could shrink. Other option would be a shop vac to vacuum it out as it. Just make sure it is a wet dry as I am sure the debris is wet.

A garden rake would destroy the floor. So would a pitchfork. So a shop vacuum would be my first choice. Remove the vacuum cleaner filter when vacuuming soggy stuff.

Next choice would be to set some children inside and tell them you won't put the ladder back until they bag all those leaves.

Re: "opening" the Intex - slimy leafy mess!

Thank you Lisa ~ Good point about not leaving it empty! yikes - I hope i haven't hurt it. I think it quit draining 4 or 5 days ago. I'll use a net to get most of it, then maybe finish up with a wet/dry vac. Although that may be a bear to clean out as well after this mess! lol

- - - Updated - - -

I like it Richard! ;)

Plastic, flexible leaf rake. Something you can scoop the leaves up with, but not damage the liner. Once you've got everything you can out by hand, use a shop vacuum to suck out the rest of the small stuff.

Then scrub the whole inside down with a 50/50 household bleach solution (a brush on a broom handle helps) then rinse with water and drain. Fill it up and get to work balancing the water chemistry.

Get dirty, get it all out carefully and start clean.

EDIT: I also like the 1 foot of water and leaf rake idea!

This is going to sound more complicated than it is but we we had out 16ft pool I would remove about half the uprights and that would lay one side of the pool on the ground. I'd them take out a few sections of the top rail tubing and take a broom and sweep as much gunk out as I possibly could. Then take bleach and the broom and scrub the bottom and all areas that were nasty. Then rinse it all with the water hose while sleeping the grossness out. Get as much of the nasty water swept out as you can then set the side back up as it was and add a little water and use a wet/dry shop vac to remove the final nastiness and then begin filling it back up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I haven't gotten much done since I posted this question. Hose issue, then sickness, then weather and finally, being gone.

My husband says the frogs making the huge racket in the back yard are all living in the pool! Yuck! Anyone know how to handle a frog problem?

Re: "opening" the Intex - slimy leafy mess!

Weeeellll... Other than scooping them out and setting them "free".... I think a pretty big dose of chlorine when you start slamming might either kill them or run them off.
I never had frogs in mine but before I found TFP my swamp had a lot of disgusting bugs that looked like crickets living in it. (until the chlorine killed them!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.