Pressure / Suction Loss Troubleshooting

Aug 9, 2013
Rochester, NY
Hi all! This forum has been of great help to me in the past, so thank you in advance.

I have a 32x16 inground vinyl pool. I have a pentair sand dollar filter, and a 1HP - 230/115 volt Centurion switch less motor.

Everything was working great until this weekend when I was using my automatic vacuum robot to clean the pool. I left it running for several hours, and then went to backwash the filter as I normally do. While backwashing, I noticed that the sound of the flow of water was stuttered and dribbling, rather than the normal constant flow. I tried to waste / rinse and same thing. My motor is also making new sounds like it is struggling to generate flow.

The pressure is now low (about 5 psi or less) on the filter setting - and water seems to be sputtering out of the returns inconsistently.

I figure that the problem is on the suction side.. Since the pressure is so low. Here is what I've tried so far:

- Manually priming the pump with plenty of water before starting

- Manipulating the multivalve port lever to create pressure and release to attempt to dislodge any obstructions

- Clean the impeller of any debis. I used both my finger and a screwdriver but could not dig out any debris

- Lubricated the o ring on my pump lid.

I was able to manually turn my impeller with my finger / screwdriver .. But I did notice that it seems to wobble up and down. I can jiggle it up and down easily. Could this be my problem? Any other ideas for me to try?

Thanks - I am meticulous about my pool chemistry and am worried about letting my water get out of control!

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

How is your suction cleaner hooked up? Do you have a leaf strainer inline in the hose?

Sounds to me like you clogged the suction line.

Done (Rochester, NY). I hook up the vacuum robot via hose directly into the skimmer basket suction line and vacuum while the pool is on filter. Maybe I am doing this wrong and should be vacuuming to waste?

Anyway, I haven't had this issue before (maybe I got lucky :) ). There was a decent amount of debris on the pool floor before vacuuming, but not insane.

If a clogged suction line is my problem, how can I confirm and then solve?

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.