What to do about the pool?

kandy

Jul 10, 2008
Pampa,Tx
This is our 1st year with a pool & my husband & I are trying to decide if we should empty the pool & store it for the winter or can we just leave it up?I know I have seen something like this dicussed on here before but for the life of me I can not find it....We live in the Texas panhandle & have a easy set intex above ground,& I was just wondering the pros & cons to leaving it up or do we have to take it down?I have already got the pump & the SWG off & cleaned up & stored it in the house.What should our next move be..Thanks for all the help that this site has done for us we really had a great swimming season,now we are looking for the mildest winter so that we can get back in the water :)

kandy said:
This is our 1st year with a pool & my husband & I are trying to decide if we should empty the pool & store it for the winter or can we just leave it up?I know I have seen something like this dicussed on here before but for the life of me I can not find it....We live in the Texas panhandle & have a easy set intex above ground,& I was just wondering the pros & cons to leaving it up or do we have to take it down?I have already got the pump & the SWG off & cleaned up & stored it in the house.What should our next move be..Thanks for all the help that this site has done for us we really had a great swimming season,now we are looking for the mildest winter so that we can get back in the water :)

Kandy,
I live in NW Indiana, and I used to have an intex AGP the round kind with the inflatable ring...Is that what you have? I have seen people up here leave them up all winter long, and they usually come out all lopsided after the winter or ice does damage to them...Because they are all vinyl walls, Up here I always took it down...Too much snow on the top of it always made me worry it would just collapse the sides. I think my pool lasted five summers because we did drain it take it down and clean it really well and then let it dry before we put it away...It is my opinion that if you are not using it, and you even have the chance of having a cold winter you should take it down...There is just too much that can happen to it over the winter.

Thank you for the info.We have an oval pool but it is basically the same kind.We don't get alot of snow here but it does get cold.I'm just curious even with the saltwater how much of a hard freeze would it take to freeze all that water.I really do not want to take it down because of the pain in the but factor but I also don't want to waste all the money we have in the pool.I guess I will tell the dear man of my life we need to take it down.
Guess we will do that in a week or so.We have it coverd with a good cover I haven't lost any FC or anything.The water is still so clear it is just too cool to let the kids in it any more.Oh well,can't wait for the spring......

Kandy,
You have to remember one thing about those pools and that is there is no wall to protect your liner. After five summer's one of the seems blew apart and all my water leaked out...thankfully it was at the end of the season. How cold does it get down there in the winter...maximum. The problem with that liner if it is exposed to cold temperatures really harsh sub freezing temps...the water might not freeze, but you may be doing damage to the vinyl???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.