Filter basket Q

May 4, 2015
Avon, IN
I'm having issues with cleaning out my filter basket (the one at the filter, not the skimmer)...When I open the top to get the basket out to clean it, it drains all the water out of there and then it takes it a while to fill back up when I turn the filter back on. I'm afraid of damaging my filter/motor since it's obviously getting air, but I don't know how to clean that basket out without this happening. I have tried turning off the main drain and skimmer valves while doing this too but it doesn't help at all. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, should you turn off the filter when cleaning out the skimmer basket? It seems when I turn it off and go to get the basket out, all the nasty bugs and stuff float out of it...

Thanks!

Everything you describe is normal. Time it some time. You'll discover the pump isn't really running all that long when it's priming. It just seems like forever when you're watching it anxiously.

You can cut down on pump basket cleaning if you stop more stuff at the skimmer. I stretch a knee-high nylon over the basket. Queen-sized works best. Pictures

My technique for the skimmer is to open the lid, reach in with my left hand and press the weir closed with the pump on. The water levels drops really fast that way and everything floating around ends up in the basket. Then I lift the basket with my right hand to get it up above the water and let go of the weir. Then I remove my left hand and the basket lifts out the rest of the way.

OK... what's a weir??

I do use skimmer sock things...I don't have to clean the filter basket much...just happened to do it yesterday when doing all my other stuff because I hadn't done it in a couple weeks...sock seems to be working because there wasn't much in it at all!

My technique for the skimmer is to open the lid, reach in with my left hand and press the weir closed with the pump on. The water levels drops really fast that way and everything floating around ends up in the basket. Then I lift the basket with my right hand to get it up above the water and let go of the weir. Then I remove my left hand and the basket lifts out the rest of the way.

That seems like a good technique! As a first time pool owner, I learn something new on here every day! I've just been scooping the floating stuff in the skimmer out with my hands :)

Another idea .... if you don't have a nylon stocking handy, you can use a paint strainer cloth. I buy 1-gallon strainers in the paint section at the local home improvement store. They fit well in my skimmer and catch a lot of small stuff before making it to my filter. For those times where my pump skimmer basket water level was emptied, I may take a 5-gal bucket of water and fill it up before putting the lid back on just to assist in re-priming a little quicker. :)

That seems like a good technique! As a first time pool owner, I learn something new on here every day! I've just been scooping the floating stuff in the skimmer out with my hands :)

I can't bring myself to reach in there with floating spiders and centipedes with my bare hands!! YUK! And I'm a orthopedics surgery nurse so my hands are in a lot of crud - with gloves on! I can't handle the bugs!!

- - - Updated - - -

For those times where my pump skimmer basket water level was emptied, I may take a 5-gal bucket of water and fill it up before putting the lid back on just to assist in re-priming a little quicker. :)

I tried this with the garden hose last night but it didn't work - probably my error but I seem to be so afraid the pump is sucking in water that seconds seem like hours!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the pointers and great tips! As always, you all ROCK!

I have a close off valve on all pipes leading to/from the pool. I can close them all (3) and not lose any water.

I can also turn one just a tiny bit to let the water float the yucky stuff out so I do not have touch it.

Of course with me having an aboveground pool it is easier for me to do.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.