Newbie with questions- Salt??

We are about to break ground on a 18X40 in-ground inner pool. We are trying to figure out if we should as the Salt converter. The pool company that is installing the pool with strongly against salt due to the problems that it will cause with liner, pump and heater. I need so advice. Should we add salt?? I am thinking about the kids eyes and the smell of chlorine. PLEASE HELP!!

Welcome to TFP!

You are going to need to add chlorine one way or another. The problems with burning eyes is more often a pH issue, not a chlorine issue. Chlorine smell? That is an issue with a poorly balanced/maintained pool that has too much combined chlorine (basically chlorine that is in the process of breaking down stuff in the water).

How does the builder want you to chlorinate the pool? Or, is trying to sell a miracle mineral system?

Salt pool is a chlorine pool. The cell breaks up the salt with electricity, and you get chlorine from that process. Salt won't affect the liner, pump or heater. The salt level is 3000 parts per million, which is saline solution, not 35,000PPM which is ocean water. Salt is known to affect some types of flag stone though- what kind of deck material are you using?

I just opened a liner pool with a Salt Water Generator and I am glad I did. Following the advice of this site and using the Salt Water, my water quality is awesome. There is no bad aroma and you can open your eyes underwater with no burning. I feel that pool companies know you are going to spend a lot less money on chemicals if you go with the SWG. From the research that I did initially, it seems that you can sometimes have issues with the sealants that are required for stamped concrete decking and salt water. I went with Exposed Aggregate, so I shouldn't have any issues.

ok, as mentioned I am very new to all this! :p I know that we will get the Chlorine pump and add the salt kit to it. Just worried about the cons of salt, such as damage to the pump, heater and liner. Our builder is wanting us to just use chlorine.
we were all new once. There is a lot of information to take in.

There are tens (hundreds) of thousands of salt pools out there and when maintained properly the salt does not damage the equipment. As has been pointed out by other posters there can be damage to,some types of soft stone.

Does he want you to,use liquid chlorine or pucks?

You can always upgrade to salt later. You could have him leave a spot of PVC where it could go and even put a circuit breaker for it in the electrical panel.

Avoid a puck feeder like the plaque. You'll read up in pool school why you can't use pucks for 100% of your chlorination, but in short terms it puts too much stabilizer in your pool that doesn't go away. A liquid chlorine pump would be okay- then you don't have to dump bleach/liquid chlorine in everyday.

Start reading up here in pool school. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

BTW, I converted to salt and would never go back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.