Newbie needs help.

May 2, 2015
Longwood FL
ok so I got my Taylor Test kit yesterday.

I tested with a small Taylor Test kit my chlorine level on Friday and it was 10... used my new K-2006 kit today is my Combined Chlorine and Free Chlorine and Total Chlorine are 0. I did the test twice friday and twice today.

Why would my pool go through so much chlorine? I know my cyanuric acid level is high... K-2006 test states 160. Last year we went thought 1 jug a week now its 2 or more..

Help!!!

I havent added anything yet.

FC - 0
CC - 0
PH -7.4
TA - 100
CH - 370
CYA - 160 (dumb pool store said 100)

And my pool looks awesome! But I think it will be tinging green by this afternoon without any chlorine.

Last edited:
The short answer is: you've probably got algae gearing up for a full blown algae bloom.

If CYA is 160, your minimum FC level shouldn't dip below 12. You were only at 10. Seems high, but not with astronomical CYA. So.... there wasn't enough FC to keep the algae from starting, and once it began, it started growing exponentially and ate up all the chlorine. And the longer you let it go, the amount of chlorine it will take to be rid of it will go up exponentially, too.

Cure: Shock Level And Maintain. But that's going to be tough with CYA at 160. Nearly impossible. You'll need this.

attachment.php

I suggest replacing a whole bunch of water to get CYA down to 50 or less. And then SLAM. And then make sure you never let FC drop below the minimum for your CYA level.

I havent added anything yet.

FC - 0
CC - 0
PH -7.4
TA - 100
CH - 370
CYA - 160 (dumb pool store said 100)

Thanks for you numbers. The pool store probably cannot read any test over 100 for CYA
As for CYA you will need to do partial drains and refills to get that down. You probably have a lot of sunny days in FL so you would want to bring it down to around 50.

FC with your CYA so high it is not on the chart. For 100 it says target 12. Go with that for now.
Is your pool clear?

I did stop it. I had 1 pool store telling me PUCKS PUCKS PUCKS (4 in Skimmer basket and 4 in floater) along with 1 jug of chlorine weekly. Thought he was smoking crack so i went somewhere else.

Another telling me to use this powdered stuff weekly for 6 months (Contained Dichlor). It was easier but I am now paying the price for the ease.

I am sooooo tired of the Pool store train. Got me a mini kit and realized it wouldnt do the trick. Just got my K-2006 kit yesterday. I knew my chlorine level would be low but not that low.

I tried Leslies Pool product Bio-Active twice and it didnt do a thing for my CYA level.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW - The pool looks awesome right now! But by this afternoon it will start to turn light green.

- - - Updated - - -

All the stores i have been to say phosphates are causing algae a course my phosphate levels are considered high... 300.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it is starting to turn ligh green, then you have an alge bloom starting as Richard said. At least add enough bleach to target 12Fc for now and do drain refill to get CYA down. You will likely have to SLAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Phosphates don't cause algae. Low FC causes alge. Don't worry about the phosphates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.