Chemical storage

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
Hi I have a very basic question. Can I store my pool chemicals outside in the shed or is there any concern of heat making any of the chemicals unstable or breaking them down? Thanks. Specifically liquid bleach, Borax, Armand Hammer baking soda, muriatic acid, calcium hardness, CYA.

You want to store Bleach where it's cool and dark. Keep things that would react away from each other should they spill. If you have Metal stuff in there you don't want to be corroded more quickly, I would suggest somewhere else. Acid in particular. It vents, as does bleach and if tools are pretty close, you will see them rusting much more quickly.

Dittos to what both these guys are telling you. I keep MA in an enclosed but vented container that sits outside in a shaded area. Used to keep it in the garage. Learned that lesson soon after joining TFP and connected the dots as to why nearby metals began to rust for what I (incorrectly) thought was no apparent reason. Bleach stays in my utility room. Also, while I always keep an ample supply of bleach around since I go through that much quicker than MA, MA is the one chemical that I do not "stock-up" on. I buy it in as small a quantity as I can. I see no need to keep any more of that stuff around than I need to.

Thanks all-
So right now I have the room to keep the MA in a new shed by itself- I have to stock up for now as I have a new plaster pool that is constantly demanding acid.
If I keep that in the shed by itself, any concerns with the heat in the shed causing problems?

Basic chemical safety, keep acids and oxidizers seperate. Vigorous reactions when they are mixed! Also keep both away from fuel (portable gas cans).

As noted above, keep chlorine as cool and dark as possible, and keep different forms of chlorine seperate (i.e., trichlor and cal-hypo). They don't play well when mixed, very energetic reactions.

Muriatic (hydrochloric) acid is very stable over a wide range of temeratures. You can keep that outside. I buy one gallon at a time and keep that in a white 5 gallon bucket with a lid. I also keep the measuring cup inside the bucket. The lid keeps what little fumes that make it past the cap contained. Here's how it looks (appropriate hazmat placard optional :) )

Pool stuff.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.