Sizing a new pump

May 29, 2014
Wilton, CT
I'm trying to figure out how to size a new pump. The pool is 33k gallons, so at 8/hrs per turnover, that is 68 GPM. At 12/hrs per turnover, it is 45. Average head feet is 45. The piping is 1.5".

1) Should I be sizing based on turning over 2x or 3x per day?
2) One pump i'm looking at is Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP 2-Speed Pool Pump #340043. At high speed, that is 80 GPM at 45 feet, which seems like overkill and I could go with the 1hp instead at about 60GPM at 45 feet. However, I assume that most of the time I would be running on low speed. How do I therefore figure out which HP to go with?

Hello,
This article may help. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/152-determine-pump-run-time
Why not go with a 1hp 2-speed motor. Whats wrong with the current pump? There are two sides to the pump. The wet end (pump) and the motor. Usually all that's required is a new/reconditioned motor and new shaft seal and you're good to go. You can easily replace a single speed motor with a 2 speed motor.

There is a small crack in the pump casing. I may be able to deal that and then just get a new motor - not sure though. But where there is one crack, there may be more to come.

I forgot to not me that we currently do not hear the pool, but am going to be getting a heat pump. Does that affect the HP I need? Once the pool is warm, I don't see running the heater for more than a few hours per day.

No not really. Most pumps on high speed move enough water, on low that may be another story. What are your electric rates? If they're more than $.30 KWH then look at a Variable Speed Motor, otherwise a 2-speed is fine. I run mine 90% on low. High speed when I check the pressure to clean the filter or for the fountain to spray higher.

It is our experience that sizing pumps based upon turns per day is a general rule of thumb that has been taken to the point of a law. In general many / most pools can operate with no issues on far less than the industry standard suggested turns per day.

If you want the short version, a typical pool the size of yours with no water features will do just fine on a 1 - 1.5 HP 2 speed pump running on low when not vacuuming, backwashing, etc. with run times of 4-10 hours per day determined through experimentation.

As to the pump you are looking at make sure it will accept a 1.5 inch input pipe, many newer 1.5 HP pumps have 2 inch intake fittings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.