Pics of Installed Skimmer on new pool

FUBAR

May 29, 2013
Charleston, WV
Well after the great flood of 20 years took my 20' pool this winter, it was time for a new one. Got a heck of a deal on a 22' intex pool so we're back in business! That is after shoveling out about 20 truck loads of dirt (OK, not that much but I chose to dig out the base for the deeper pool instead of jacking up the deck) and redoing the deck to swallow the bigger radius and adding a cool skimmer.

So tired of dealing with the floating skimmer of the last pool I decided to do this one right! Went out and bought a Hayward Wide mouth skimmer from the local pool store (which she just about wouldn't sell me because "it won't work" on my intex pool.) I told her, "honey, I can just about make anything work and either you can sell me one or I can buy somewhere else." lol, I ended up buyinf it from her. Installed it and the outlet eyeball which is better than intex's too. Hard plumbed it to the filter with a ball valve and Soviet Union for ease of maint. In due time I'll replace that Mickey Mouse of a pump and filter (OK, the filter may be Mickey Mouse but that little pump sure moves the water. So much so I had to turn the eyeball more towards the center of pool to slow the circulation down so more surface debris could be caught.)

I have to say I'm ecstatic how it turned out as vacuuming is a breeze and the surface is crystal clean, AND I MEAN CLEAN!! and how yea, no leaks! So as promised on to the pics! (don't mind the debris, I hadn't vacuumed yet and dialed in the eye ball) And oh yea, I plan on installing a discharge hose on the old inlet, so I can regulate the water level. We get a lot of thunder boomers in this area.

c073802892b4804df1b64d73a4a2c7b9.jpg

524067f7d32c83d6802e14dab4bcc2be.jpg

e7b9fb467947ef80c6760480eda3d8e6.jpg

Honesty I don't really know yet as I've only had it up for less than a week. I can say for the first couple days after running it, all the poplar and sycamore tree polled was flying and it was pretty gunked up. Couple more days and a vacuum it really wasnt that bad. But the tree polled has started to die down. I've got socks, but only use them first the first and usually only dose of CYA. I've had those socks get so clogged that I almost burnt my pump up before. Gonna let everything settle out then raise the borates.

Thanks. And I have to add for anybody putting up a new pool like this one. I had to add a rope with a ratchet strap down towards the bottom of the frame feet (not pictured.) They kept wanting to walk out off my stones (outrigger support premise) even secured by the white ribbon. They used to come with a rope, but the manual now says "some models."

Update. It's been a few days since installing the skimmer and here's a after shot. Mind you I have not skimmed or vacuumed at all and as you can see there are a ton of dropped flower pedals on the ground from all the poplar trees right next to the pool. Now I have been running the pump 24/7 for two reasons. 1 being I just added CYA and 2 to keep the debris collected till I get a good solar cover. Makes sense. Pick the stuff off the surface before it has a chance to sink to the bottom. Wife isn't happy about all this because I took her vac/skim job away, lol.
9557b3fd39bc8270fc65db675e3017ed.jpg

958198fd5f5bc9d4a7e13f07494a0155.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.