Frustrated Newbie

wjaneala

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2015
Cullman, AL
New to Pool ownership here, and already frustrated. We bought this house recently, and have a 20x40 inground saltwater pool. The problem is we cannot get it to clear up.This might not be the right forum, sorry. ;-)

Welcome to TFP!

This forum works for now. We need more details. A full set of water tests would be great, is it cloudy, clear, green, a swamp - what are we dealing with?

Do you have a test kit or have you been using the pool store testing?

You say in ground, but plaster/finite or vinyl lined?

WHat have you added so far to fix it?

Welcome! :wave:

Don't worry about posting in the wrong forum. A moderator can move it easily enough.

If you're serious about taking control of the pool....

Step one: invest in a proper test kit and some salt test strips. Best buy is the TF100. You probably won;t be able to find the other recommended kit, the K-2006 in stock anywhere, and the K-2005 isn't the same, no matter what the pool store clerk tells you.
Step two: do some reading here. Start with the ABCs and Recommended Chemicals and How to Use Poolmath and Water Balance for SWG.
Step three: run the tests when your kit arrives and we will guide you the rest of the way. We know where you want to be, we just need to know where you are, which is what the test results tell us.

And please don't get impatient and start buying everything the pool store pushes at you. Just grit your teeth and wait it out and you could very easily have the pool tamed in a couple weeks and never have cloudy or green water again. Many of us have gone years without algae.

Hang in there and heed these people's advice. I once was lost (Baquacil) but now am found BBB, lol. Never have I spent so little it maintaining my pool nor had it as easy until I did my research on here with these people's help.

You're in the right place. You made it to TFP.

You need a test kit to take control and a bit of knowledge to understand how it works. Pool School is where you will learn everything you need to know. Its overwhelming for some but if you take an article or 2 everyday n read it and ask questions, it's easily digestible.

Were here for you when you need us to answer your questions. Reading and understanding is key for all of us to work together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.