Life of sand in a filter

TizMe

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Covington, Georgia
Next year will be our fourth season for our pool and I was wondering what is the life span of the sand in the filter? I am thinking it is probably at its maximum after 3 seasons. We have been closing it and not running it for the winter months here in GA so it hasnt been running for a complete 12 months the past three years perhaps 20 months of the 36 months we have had the pool.

When I replace the sand how much do I get and is there some maintenance I should do on the head or laterals while its appart and the head is off?

Thanks for the advice in advance !

I changed my sand once in 25 years. I just put a new filter in this year only because I was putting in a new pump and changing over to 2 inch lines.

You will want to change the sand way before the season starts. If you find something wrong and have to order the parts, you can order on line and have time for the parts to arrive.

If everything was working good, I wouldn't bother to open it.

Hotrod30 said:
If everything was working good, I wouldn't bother to open it.

Exactly. Unless you are using biguanide, something else will fail before the sand does. Just change it when you have to get inside the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.