New Pool Owner - Draining/Refilling Pool Questions

May 3, 2015
Moorpark, CA
Hi all,

I bought a new (for me) house with an inground plaster sided pool and spa of about 12,000 gallons. I've never owned a pool, although spent much of my youth in them, so I am excited about having one of my own. I plan on draining and refilling the pool due to CYA at about 350. Just before doing this, I plan on cleaning the DE filters.

I saw a website that suggested cleaning calcium deposits at the edge of the pool with CLR or Lime Away. Is this recommended? I wouldn't want to do anything that might eat away the plaster.

I also have five brown stains at the bottom of the pool which did not respond to trichlor tabs being rubbed on them, so it appears to be metal. Should I try to treat them with ascorbic acid while the pool still has water, or attack them while empty with some other method? I didn't see anything on how to treat stains on an empty pool.

I would be interested in any other suggestions on what to do while draining and refilling the pool. I am trying to do this right the first time if possible.

Thanks!

Michael

Michael, the recommendation on here is usually to empty 2 feet and fill and repeat until you CYA is down to the recommended level... being you are in a drought I don't believe you need to worry about your pool popping out of the ground but you would have to worry about water usage...

did you do dilution to test CYA at that level?

Floating the pool is probably not a worry unless you're right next to a creek or a percolation pond.
Try this link and check the box Measurements under Data Layers. Then find the closest test well to where you live. Looks like the shallowest is 24 feet in Moorpark.

Water line deposits can be scrubbed off with dilute acid and elbow grease. Do it while the pool is full and you can splash water on to dilute it when you're done. And then pump it away. Pumice stone also works but it's hard work, sounds awful, and leaves mountains of grit behind. Or have it soda blasted when the pool is empty. Acid washing the whole pool will weaken the plaster some.

I also have some rust spots on my pool floor that I think are from a crappy replaster. I think there's rebar or tie wire too close to the surface. Nothing to do but live with it or spring for a replaster.

Hi all,

Casey, I did a dilution test to measure the CYA at that high level. I initially took it to the pool store, and they said the CYA was fine. Even as a newbie, I knew something was wrong, so did my own test.

Isaac, thanks for the tips on keeping the plaster wet. The last thing I would want to do is ruin the plaster.

Richard, that's a great map with the well depths. I am going to bookmark that. I am up on the side of a steep hill, so I am probably safer than most from having it popup. I would hate to find out the hard way, though. If the rust stains don't come out due to metal under the surface, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Fortunately, they are on the deep end, so not as easy to see.

I am really worried about doing something ignorant and damaging my new (to me) pool, so I really appreciate the help in guiding me in the right direction and keeping me out of trouble. You guys are great!

Michael

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.