SONOs helllllllllllllllllllp!!!!!!

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Absolutely nothing to do with the Sonos system though! That was the easiest fall off a log computer network install EVER! Bulletproof (and idiot proof it seems). Sonos app---simply amazing. Even streams the stuff off my hard drive on the puter network once you add it. Got it controlled from the puter, 2 phones, and a Kindle Fire right now.

Just put one Play 5 on the deck by the pool which I can easily unplug and tote in the house. So much for the days of streaming phone stuff over bluetooth devices. Wi-Fi just blows it away with no quality, sound, or "thump" loss.

My problem is how to keep the wife from hijacking my song list!..Hmmmmmm.........maybe Mr. 5 needs a brother! A couple of these puppies paired in stereo mode would ROCK!

Anybody got a couple of 5's paired out there?

Can't help with the mrs hijacking your stuff. I don't have a 5, just a 3 for the pool (need another), some 1s spread around the house and playbar/sub in the living room. A stereo pair of 5s would rock some parrot heads for sure!

I love sonos!

I have two 5s paired, sounds great. Got the Connect as well that drive the 4 polks outside. I had my friends download the app, we us the playlist as our jukebox. It is awesome. As for the Mrs, I will leave that one to you.

Well.........Mr. Sonos 5 just discovered he had a long lost twin brother! Gonna use them poolside spread out (until fall at least!). I have them set up as two different rooms and grouped rather than paired together. Think I'll rename mine "Rum" and "Coke"! This way I can manage a different volume level on each of them from a phone app to appease the powers that be around here.

Now...if it ever quits raining (again).....I might actually get to test them outside.

- - - Updated - - -

Wireless speakers

Wi-Fi wireless speakers over a computer network to more fully answer your question Dave. Wherever ya' got a wall plug.just move it there and you're still on the network. I can drag one from the deck to the living room and be right back up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just received my PLAY:3 on Tuesday. I did have some trouble connecting to the wireless network until I connected it directly to the router with the Ethernet cable during setup. After that, it's been fine. Love the versatility and the sound. My Mrs. hasn't downloaded the app yet so I get to play whatever I want....for the moment. :D

Last edited:
Well, I may have just answered my own question. Apparently, I have an incompatible router/modem. Nice.

I guess the resolution is get a "third party access point" and have the Sonos "associated to that access point" instead. Does that mean I need to get a second router to connect the system to? I'm not so satisfied anymore. :(

Thanks pooldv. I have been in contact with Sonos customer service and they said it would be resolved by adding a secondary compatible router. But that seems to be a bit more expensive than purchasing the boost. Plus it'll extend the range. :)

My apologies to you woodyp. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Had I known it was going to be this involved, I would have start my own.

We love our Sonos too going into our the 3rd or 4th year. Sonos can be a little technically challenging but the results are well worth it. We have a Sonos Connect "hard wired from our Netgear data switch". We also have a primary wireless Netgear router bridged to a netgear wireless extender that extends our wireless network to the pool. You can take your iPad / mac pro / iPhone / or Android to the pool access our wireless network and change the Sonos radio settings. To get there the audio from our Connect passes through a indoor preamp with choices between our indoor Bose / Sonos portable play 1 / or to the pool through a 300 W indoor wired audio amp feeding hard wired 300 w rated outdoor speakers on our pool deck. We can wake the dead if you want to. Subscription to Rhapsody, Concert Vault, XM Satellite Radio, or Internet Radio. Love some "Kenny Chesney No Shoes Nation Radio" the best mix of music for any pool party. With your Sonos you can find any artist or song you could ever imagine. We Love it!! If you still have a specific problem / question maybe I can help. We have never had a problem with a router being incompatible. Recently Sonos upgrades allow the Sonos signal to work across our wireless network not their Sonos wireless. I do know if you disconnect your play speaker it scrambles its mind and you have to go in and reconnect your active play zones again. This is a pain but again well worth the benefit to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.