New pool 18 x 48 intex easy set water issues

Apr 8, 2015
Waukesha, Wi
We just put up the pool (first time pool owner) filled with well water through softener. Looked crystal clear in the beginning, but as pool was about half full, water looking a yellowish green. Put salt in and cyanuric acid but haven't run filter or SWG yet. What would be the best way to start to handle this.. Pool still has about 6 inches or so to go to be full (5455 gal) . Please help.

That's why I got in the pool and brushed it until it dissolved. The pool didn't come with a skimmer, and I don't know if you can get an after market one. Right now the pool looks like green lake water and you can't see the bottom. Should I add bleach before I run the SWG, or will it then put too much chlorine in?

You should have everything balanced before trying to dial in the SWG. So, yeah, add 2ppm of bleach.

So your tap water looks like green lake water?

Can you post a picture?

After doing more searches, I came across the towel on the intake hose idea...I did this and within 2 minutes, there was a ring of rust on the cloth the color of coffee. I know that we have 2 ppm of iron in our water, but we ran most of it through our softener using both hot and cold water. The water looked crystal clear until about half way when I added the cyanuric acid. Which is the best metal remover and how long will it take to clear up. I'm not really in a hurry as the weather will still be too clod this week, but I would like to get this cleared up and under control.

image.jpg here's the color of my pool water. Chemical reading without chlorine just stabilizer.
Hardness 200
FC 0
pH between 7.8 and 8.4
Alkalinity 240
CYA between 100 and150

- - - Updated - - -

I have a bottle of clarifier, would it help to add that yet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is very similar to what I faced when I started my pool last year. My fill water looked clear until it was about a foot deep then it became murky and the end result was a lot like yours. The filter will do it's job. I know certain types of filters take longer, but with additions of chlorine, stabilizer and continued filtration it will clear up. Here is my before and after from my first fill.

I believe it took me a couple of days before that water was clear enough to see bottom. Here is an in between picture taken the day after I filled.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.