What Advice Do You Have for My Neighbor?

mdublu

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 4, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
My test results today:
Alkalinity 350
Calcium 175
PH 7.4
TC 3.5
CC between .5 and 1
CYA 150
66 degrees
Trichlor stick user (I told them about bleach/liquid chlorine today for the first time)
They backwash 1-3 times a week
18000 gallon vinyl

My neighbor is fighting red and black algea according to both their and my pool builders. Their pool builder says the black algae is under their liner and they need to drain water, pull back the liner and treat. My pool builder says the algea being there is a result of how the pool was built. One or both of the builders said the red algae is now probably all through their plumbing.

We live in Indiana and my neighbor has scheduled my pool builder to close their pool next week. But, since their pool is still consuming chlroine, it seems to me to be a bad idea. Perhaps there is a water temperature at which closing would be OK and the algea would go dormant? With an end-of-year draining now and refill next spring, they will start with a lower CYA and would not need the 50ppm chlorine level to fight the algea. Should alkalinity be adjusted now or can they wait until spring?

The pool store's test results are similar to mine except alkalinity (they show 150) and, although we both agree on the 150 CYA, they say it is OK there.

Thanks,
Mark

The high CYA level is a serious problem. By far the best solution is to replace at least half, preferably more, of the water to get the CYA down to a more reasonable level.

Algae/mold behind the liner is annoying and unsightly but isn't usually a problem for the water chemistry. To treat it the pool needs to be drained and the liner removed. Normally you need a new liner after the algae/mold treatment.

So are you saying the algea behind the liner can be left alone if they don't mind the discoloration and get their CYA and chlorine in line? What problems would they be looking at if they went ahead with their plans to close their pool the way it is now?

Also, I found no reference to a red algea when I searched the forum after I posted this. Is it safe to assume that if CYA is brought down and good chlorine levels maintained that problem will probably correct itslef.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark, how old is the liner and what kind of cover do they use?

The 'red algae' sounds an awful lot like water mold, but that's neither here nor there, the treatment is the same - jack up the FC and keep it there until the problem is solved - it may require maintaining the cl higher than they have been constantly to prevent a resurgence of it.

With a CYA level of 150, it'd take a LOT of bleach to cure the problems now (BTW 150 is a strange # to be certain of, over 100 the tests are very inaccurate! - the level could be well more than that :( ) How's the drainage and water table in their yard? they might be able to empty 1/2 the pool for winterizing IF the liner has ~ 0% chance of floating and that would lower the CYA and alk for next spring,though they may have to drain again after refilling if the CYA hasn't dropped enough :x

I can think of nothing to do about the 'black' algae now - however, the 'red' stuff I think is most predominant at the waterline and stairs (places the water is warmer) anything above the waterline, after the pool is drained can be treated with a mix of 12% liquid chlorine and water in a spray bottle (I do this to my shower every week - we get a 'pink' biofilm that forms in the grout and under my shampoo and shaving cream - I mix 2 oz 12% with 14 oz water, spray it on and let it sit for ~ 5 min. then rinse - only occasionally do I have to reapply the chlorine solution and wipe with a sponge to get rid of it 8) )

If the liner is 'newer' a complete replacement of it may not be necessary to treat the black stuff - if it's under ~5 years old and hasn't been chemically abused (a BIG ?, if the CYA is 150) it's possible to drain the pool and go under the liner to treat the pool base and then reset the liner with no harm done to it :)

I hope that they are able to gain control of these issues without having to take out a second mortgage to do it :wink: If I can help, I will.

I also hope that your pool is doing well and is and will remain 'trouble free' :-D

The liner is three years old and they have a motorized vinyl cover. The pool is covered when they are away, at night and during bad weather. Upon returning from the pool store today, my neighbor said the store told them they have pink slime mold (I think that is what they called it), not red algea as I previously noted. How would one know if the liner has been "abused?" I can say it looks great except for where the black algea is.

The 150 CYA I gave is a guess based on the pool store's result of 151 and that when I did the test I had about 1/4" of water in the tube when the dot was no longer visible. I know 150 may be inaccurate but I knew the answer to that problem all ready...get it down to where it is measurable and correct. My neighbor told me she told the pool store employee I said the CYA was way too high...I guess the employee had no response to that. I should have mentioned in my first post that I use the Taylor K-2006 kit.

My pool has been great this first season. It was cloudy off and on for three weeks when I first opened...then I realized I had no CYA. I corrected the CYA and have added nothing but bleach and a little borax and acid here and there over the summer as needed. I have not shocked my pool since the cloudiness I experienced back in March or April.

Mark - thank you for the update!

Also, mia culpa, welcome to TFP!! :oops:

If they plan to have the pool drained and the pool base treated next year anyway, they might as well drain ~ 1/2 the pool for closing, any wrinkles that might develop from the water being low are easily remedied next spring. Or... in that line of thought, if the pool is going to be drained next season to correct the 'black', leave the pool at normal winterizing water level and the cya and alk will be taken care of when the pool is refilled - they get to start fresh :thumleft:

Who identified the 'red algae' as water mold first - the pool store or me ? :roll: :wink:

I'm happy that your pool has been good since you solved the initial problem! If you need any more help from me on this, or any other, issue - just whistle :-D

(Thank you :bowdown: for becoming a 'lifer' - some great sites die from lack of support :grrrr: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.