New to forum, Hi everyone....and I need help!

Apr 15, 2015
Huntsville/Alabama
Hello everyone! I hope I am in the right spot--this is my first post and I have a nasty green pool and I don't know what all I'm doing wrong. :( I started my pump a month ago--didn't cover pool so it was dark green with frogs. I have scooped it out repeatedly and bottom seems pretty clean. In past month, I've put over 40 lbs of powdered shock in it and 10 large containers of chlorine bleach, and just can't get FC up above 0.8. Had sand filter filled with new sand a few days ago, and I've run the pump continuously for 4 weeks. Just got myself a new test kit (the 2006 thingy, see signature), and as of today, my FC is 0.4 (even though I put 5 lbs of Calcium Hypochlorite, highest strength, in 2 days ago), TA is 100, Ph is 8.0, CH is 160, and CYA is 60. I don't know how to get CC??? Oh, and I had the water tested at a pool company last week and they told me I only needed 4 lbs of calcium hypochlorite to clear my water, but I bought 15 lbs and I hit it every other day to no avail. (They said my copper was high as well, just fyi).
I've yet to see the bottom of my pool, as its a cloudy light green --and as of today, I now have some frog eggs floating on top. I know I'm not getting enough chlorine, but good grief, where is it going??
Thanks, sorry it was long.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Good to see you have one of the needed test kits :goodjob:

What has your CC been when you are testing? Just saw your question on this. Check out: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions there are also YouTube videos linked from tftestkits.net

What is your CH? You may want to stop with the Cal-hypo.

Stop letting the pool store test your water ... only leads to confusion.

You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process using liquid chlorine.

These may also offer insight:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Ok, I used the instructions you sent me and I got that my FC was 1.0 and my CC was 1.0. So I ran the numbers of all my tests into the pool calculator and I got a result that I only need about 2 gallons of liquid chlorine to get my FC up to 4. Is that where I want it to be to kill all that algae, or is that a NORMAL FC reading that I want to maintain the pool? What level of FC do I need to reach to kill the overgrowth of algae? I put maybe 5 gallons of chlorox in at a time twice and it never raised my FC over 1.0....so this can't be right...? What am I missing? My FC is just not coming up!

"nasty green pool" is your answer to where your chlorine is going. You need to see the chlorine/cya chart in Pool School to determine what your SLAM level is. And that ain't just a one time shot either! That's the level to be maintained until you meet all 3 criteria of passing a SLAM. Full SLAM instructions in Pool School. Good luck and have patience. It didn't go slimy overnight and won't be fixed overnite either if it is bad.

Welcome to the forum! I swam in my pool today after 3 weeks of fighting algae, and roughly 20 gallons of leaves, along with some goggles and two basketballs left by previous owners. The first 12 days, I was following pool store instructions (all the while spending over half of a house payment). I was vaccuming, brushing, and shocking daily, until 11pm sometimes as late as 2am. If you look in my thread, you will see pics of where I was JUST LAST WEEK! While I'm still not in the position to advise, I can be a testimony of hope. We just got out of the pool 20 minutes ago from our very first swim! I got in twice while it was a swamp, but that's beside the point. I lied... I am going to give you advice....

1. Quit going to the pool store!
2. Read pool school, the ABC'S and ask questions on what you don't understand.
3. Listen to and follow the guidance from these great people.

If I were a rich man, a few of them would have new cars today

sent from the device my boss pays the bill for, so I should be working instead of posting here

"25,000 gallon IG with vinyl liner. Not sure how old it is. Sand filter, not sure what brand/size, Hayward Super Pump c48k2n143b1. I have a cleaner, and a chlorinator in the pump house... no idea what they are, or how to use them. I assume my city water has high iron contents. I'm not sure about restrictions. Waiting at this point to be able to have a proper test kit. Please let me know what I need to add, and how to find out that info."

JustillItIn- I think you're due for a siggy line change :) You've obviously got your proper test kit and you've found where to find your info. Good job!

OK I checked the CYA/chlorine chart and it says for CYA=60 I need 24ppm of chlorine to reach a shock level of chlorine in my pool. So then I use the pool calculator to figure out how much for my pool volume to get to 24ppm? and then dose the pool every few hours with enough to keep the shock level to 24ppm? right? Am I figuring that out right?

Hey "JustfillItIn" according to my calculations, if they are right, is that I need about 7 large (121 oz) jugs of Clorox to get it to shock level... but how can I estimate how many times I'm gonna have to do that? i.e. How do I estimate how much Clorox to buy??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd buy at least twice that much to start if ya' gotta swamp. And I'm pretty sure you're gonna need more! Just add enough bleach each time you test FC levels to bring it BACK to SLAM level. It'll be a bunch to start but will lessen with time.

OK I checked the CYA/chlorine chart and it says for CYA=60 I need 24ppm of chlorine to reach a shock level of chlorine in my pool. So then I use the pool calculator to figure out how much for my pool volume to get to 24ppm? and then dose the pool every few hours with enough to keep the shock level to 24ppm? right? Am I figuring that out right?

Yes, you are on the right track there! :goodjob:

Hey "JustfillItIn" according to my calculations, if they are right, is that I need about 7 large (121 oz) jugs of Clorox to get it to shock level... but how can I estimate how many times I'm gonna have to do that? i.e. How do I estimate how much Clorox to buy??

woodyp is right. Expect to dump at least twice that amount in (not all at once of course). The object is to get it to shock level, and keep testing and using the calculator to hold FC at shock level.

If you got a Walmart near by just get the great value 8.25 stuff, it'll save you a dollar per. If you are at 60 CYA, I would drain a bit of water to lower it. Especially during a slam so you don't need to use so much bleach to hit shock level. When you buy bleach start off with at least 4 dose worth. For my 13500 gal pool, from start to finish I went through about 30 jugs. I kept CYA at 30 during slam so 2 jugs would reach my shock level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.