Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: is there a way to keep GALLONS of water off cover

1. Back To Top    #1

is there a way to keep GALLONS of water off cover

Other than going out with our pump does anyone know of a way to keep gallons and I am talking 10 or more gallons of water from pooling on our winter cover? we do have a pillow in the middle, have the cable tight, and also jugs hanging hoping to keep it taunt. Well first hard rain last week, it is all still caving in. There has to be an easier way or am I possibly doing something wrong?
    Overwhelmed
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: is there a way to keep GALLONS of water off cover

Water will always accumulate on a pool cover. You need to remove it one way or another. The approach that requires the least effort is an automatic cover pump, but that is also the most expensive (though not all that expensive). Other options include manually activated pumps and syphons.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I use a couple of short sections of old garden hose. Once the siphon is started the water drains from the cover to the ground.
    18' AG Pool, 6900 gallons, 55 sq. ft. Hayward Easy Clear Cartridge Filter, 1hp Power Flow LX Pump, North Texas

4. Back To Top    #4

You could get a taller pillow(if they make them) or use an excersise ball with strings running in a * pattern pulled taught so the water would just run off.

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

5. Back To Top    #5

Well I do have a semi tire tube that I could inflate and put under the pillow that would make more of a dome in the middle, is that what you are meaning?
    Overwhelmed
    Pool size: 15' X 48" AG vinyl liner, 5300 gallons, Hayward S166T filter and 1hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I had to buy a pump for my kid's science fair project (efficiency of solar water heating as a function of flow rate), so I bought a simple Wayne self-priming transfer pump (not submersible) from the local Lowe's store. About an $80 item (watch for the refurbs on e-bay; good deals). It's like siphoning without getting a mouthful, and the flow rates are faster than gravity. Plus, I have a quicker, easier way to lower my water level for next year's closing. And it worked great for the science fair project (greatest efficiency at the high flow rates).

Kelly
    15X30 AGP, Lomart beaded liner;
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump with 21 inch sand filter (Zeobrite media)
    Mineral Springs (Aquatrol) SWCG, Rigid PVC plumbing, 2 inch
    Four 4X12 Techno-Solis solar panels, rack mounted, Goldline Solar Controller

7. Back To Top    #7

You can buy siphon pumps at places like Harbor Freight, or at your local auto parts store. They're usually less that $10. Weight the end of the hose that's going on the cover, drop it in the puddle, pump till you get water coming out of the pump into the drain hose, and then walk off and let 'er drain.

Here's the one I use: pump
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

8. Back To Top    #8

good idea, then it would be nice to mod that to fit a small motor.

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a small pump that I bought for my basement, it is small and round...and fits inside the top of my floor drain. I would say it is a bit bigger than a large can of tomato soup. It is completely submersible, and when the water level gets to be too much on my winter cover I just go out and throw it on the deepest side of my cover and let it run for about 20 min. It takes the water off fast. It was about $50 at Home Depot, but I just keep it connected to an old piece of garden hose...and drain it off into the yard. We had about 3 inches of rain earlier this week and after about 20 minutes I was down to just the regular balast level that I had prior to the rain. I am just going to keep it ready to go until the snows come. Just plug it in and put it on the cover...Good investment in that it also helped to drain the pool down to the proper winter level.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

I siphon water from my AGP cover by hooking up a hose to my water spigot then put the other end on the cover in the puddle of water. I then turn on the water and allow some water to flow onto the cover then turn off the water unscrew from the spigot and put it on the ground. The water will back flow from the pool and continue until all the water in the puddle is gone or until something blocks the flow.
    AGP, 21'x41'x52", Vinyl liner, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Countrygirl
    I siphon water from my AGP cover by hooking up a hose to my water spigot then put the other end on the cover in the puddle of water. I then turn on the water and allow some water to flow onto the cover then turn off the water unscrew from the spigot and put it on the ground. The water will back flow from the pool and continue until all the water in the puddle is gone or until something blocks the flow.
    That is how I do it too. You can use several hoses if you want to like this.

I am under the impression that having water on top of the cover helps keep the wind from whipping it around. I just leave it there until spring. Although I am tempted to drain it now and clean the leaves off of it so it is not a mess come spring time.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

12. Back To Top    #12

Well here in the east we have been cursed with bad weather this season. One weekend we have had several inches of snow followed by rain and then several days of temps in the single digits. The result is a skating rink that remains on my pool cover with no way i can see to remove it. Even as it warms up a little now the temps most days dont go too much above freezing really to make a dent.

Next year i think i will "fill" the pool with pillows and try to increase water run off.

Spring cannot come fast enough, i want to revisit the lovely days of summer.

13. Back To Top    #13

We had a very WET fall here in New England, and a VERY snowy winter. Being a brand new pool owner who just dropped a total of $12K on a pool, deck addition, and needed accesories I am extremely cautious about the adverse weather compramising my pool's lifespan. I can't tell you how many people I have talked to up here in NE that had an AG pool get crushed from snow/ice buildup.
    That being said, every snowstorm, I was raking off my cover. What a friggin' huge PIA, but I guess it was worth it, as my neighbor who had a 5 year old 25' round AG, incoured major crush damage this past winter when the ice formed. Next winter I am buying a Toro electric snow shovel to make the snow removal job quicker and easier !

I also do all I can to keep water off my cover, as excessive water really stresses the cover. All my cover is , is a glorified oval tarp, nothing more. I bought a simple Flotec 110V pump from Home Depot that uses garden hose to pump off excessive water. I mounted the pump to an old kitty litter container, and it works awesome. Pumps my cover almost dry in about 1/2" hour max.

"To be old and wise, you must have been young and stupid"

18X33 Aquasphere buttress AG pool
    Pentair SD60 sand filter/1 hp pump/ Pool Frog
    Polaris 65 super turtle

14. Back To Top    #14

Might I suggest this? My DH is making one....

http://www.pvcplans.com/poolcover.htm
    27' ABG
    Sand Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by NicInNC

That is a cool website. I'm going to have to frame my own giraffe!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by spishex
    Quote Originally Posted by NicInNC

That is a cool website. I'm going to have to frame my own giraffe!

Haha! Yeah, we saw that. There are some odd things that people have made. We found the site while looking for chicken tractor plans. I had a ton of pvc pipes. DH ended up making a bike rack for our camper with some of them. Then we saw the pool cover and decided that we had to give it a try.
    27' ABG
    Sand Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

The pool cover I got (Blue Wave) has instructions to leave the water there. It says it will not hurt the cover and it prevents wind damage. In fact, it advises to lower the pool level up to 18 inches to form a good sized puddle.
    24' Round 14000 gal AG - installed June 2, 2015
    Saltwater Hayward AquaRite w/TCell - 9
    Waterway 26" sand filter w/ 2HP 2 speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD Test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

A good sized poodle
    In-ground block / vinyl liner 33' x 22' x 5',, approx 25k gals
    Cartridge Filter
    Floor drains, 2 skimmers, 3 return lines (2" plumbing ultra-flex PVC)

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by dw9000 View Post
    A good sized poodle
    You mean fuzzy mold?
    24' Round 14000 gal AG - installed June 2, 2015
    Saltwater Hayward AquaRite w/TCell - 9
    Waterway 26" sand filter w/ 2HP 2 speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD Test kit