SWG......problem with one of the cells?!

May 15, 2015
Odense SØ
Hey.

Today ive got the 91 error alarmcode. I've cleaned the cells, but did think it was a bit odd, that the right cell, was much cleaner than the left one. When I put the system back together, it only seems like the clorine is comming from the left one.

Is it me who is too concerned or could there be something about it?? Is it a known problem??

I have the Krystal Clear SWG for pools up to 7,000 gallons, just like you....

Did you clean it with MA or vinegar? Have you cleaned the copper cell also?

If you know you have cleaned both then your salt may be low. I would try adding 25lbs of salt and after 24 hours to allow it to dissolve see if you still get the code 91.

Do you have a salt test? I love the one I have linked in my signature. Other option would to let the pool store test the salt level or get Aqua stops salt test strips to check it. They are fairly accurate.

From what i can see, there is no copper cell in this one. Maybe its because im in Europe, and its not needed here?! When I've been looking at youtube, i can see the copper on alle types of the SWG from american users. But not the ones from Europe.

I did not notice any "smoke" from the right one before cleaning them aswell. There were salt on both cells, but most on the left one. I've cleaned it with vinegar......did let it settle for 3-4 hours.
The water came in 3 weeks ago, and according to the manual on the SWG, i did put the right amount of salt in.......wouldnt it be strange if it should lack salt allready?? Now its running fine, and making a lot of "smoke" from the left side......but still not much from the right. Maybe its okay, I dont know.

I havent got a salt-tester yet. Its on my list :)I will look at the ones in your signatur, and see if I can get some simular in Denmark.

It's not SMOKE as in fire-smoke I see. Thats why i wrote it like this: "smoke" ;-)

Its the salt burning, looking like smoke.....and on the two cells, it looks like its only comming from the left cell, even though i could see some salt on the right aswell, when I cleaned it today. Just not as much as on the left.

The cells in these don't last forever. You're lucky to get two years out of them. When they fail, you get a low salt warning, just like you did. I should know, I just replaced my cell this week. It was $68 plus shipping from the Intex website. If you've had yours less than 2 years, they'll send you one for free, but you'll need a receipt and you'll have to call their support line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The build up on the cell is calcium. The "smoke" you see is probably just the tiny hydrogen bubbles being released when the cell is working. That's normal. Most swg's switch polarity every so often so they minimize buildup. I'm not sure if your model does that or not. If it doesn't I would expect more buildup on one side. With the water properly balanced, there shouldn't be much/any buildup anyway. Have you read through the articles in pool school? Do you have one of the recommended test kits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The water is allmost as good as it gets. I don't have one of those testkits recommended by the poolschool. Maybe they're only sold in the states. Can't remember the name of the ones I have.

How can I tell if one cell is broken?! I think it would be difficult by only vision??

Edit: And thanks for all your posts......they all make me a bit more poolsmart :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.