CircuPool SJ-55
Let me post my numbers first:
FC. 8.5
CC. 0
Ph. 7.8
TA. 100
CYA 70
CH. 180 (Using Taylor test kit)

OCLT done several nights and may use .5 at the most, so things seem good there. Water is sparkling, crystal clear. During the day I wil lose 4-5ppm chlorine. This seems like a lot of loss considering how high my CYA is. I am draining and adding water to try to lower my CYA. I like to keep it around 40. (I am testing before adding a bunch of new water, then retest once I'm done adding water and add chlorine to bring it to proper level overnight). Last year, keeping CYA at 40, I would only lose 1-2 ppm on full sunny days. I know my Ph is on the high end of the good range, it just shot up from a hard rain yesterday. My well water Ph tests at 7.2, so I will retest Ph after I'm done adding water today and see if I still need to lower it a little. Am I being overly critical here, or could I have some kind of problem brewing?

With a CYA of 70 your at the the recommend lever for FC.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

How are you measuring the CYA? Lighting (Bright sunny/cloudy/indoor lighting) will have some effect on being able to see the dot if your testing your self.

Pool is clear, your maintaining the proper chlorine level. Enjoy your pool. The chlorine loss is the chlorine loss. Are you adding every day? You don't want to go below 5 on your FC, otherwise algae can take hold.

I check my pool every day, sometimes twice a day if doing OCLT. I do add chlorine every evening to keep it in proper range for CYA level. When I check CYA, it's been late afternoon sun. I would rather it be brighter sun, but we haven't had any sunny days on the weekends when I'm home lately. This is the 3rd year for our pool and it's never used that much chlorine during the day. Just had me a little worried. I thought maybe I was getting old chlorine that the store had leftover from last year, but it always comes up to my target when adding according to Pool Calculator. I would think if it was old stuff, it would take more to raise my FC.

I must have had some of last year's chlorine because I'm buying the same stuff now and back to only losing 1-2ppm each day. I guess it's good to know my pool so well, but sometimes I get a little paranoid when something is out of the norm.

I must have had some of last year's chlorine because I'm buying the same stuff now and back to only losing 1-2ppm each day. I guess it's good to know my pool so well, but sometimes I get a little paranoid when something is out of the norm.
I'd say you now have a confirmed case of sparklypoolitis.

Just think of those poor schmucks who still rely on the pool store and weekly testing. They haven't got a clue what's going on in their water. This is a perfect example of why self-testing is the way to go. You knew something was wrong right away. You didn't have to wait for it to turn murky and green.

I'd love to get in and swim, but we've had excessively rainy and cool weather this past month. Water is still too cold for me @75. I like it in the 80's. I'm hoping to get on my big pool float today. It's one that keeps me pretty much up, out of the water. At least I'll kind of be in it!! This is the first weekend in 5 weeks where we aren't getting rain. And Sparlkypoolitis is such a good thing to have!!! So glad I found this website/forum!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.