Am I on the right track??

May 17, 2015
Audubon, NJ
Hi All!! So here's what's going on: We did not winterize the pool last year. Opened it last week and it was a swamp full of leaves. And it stunk like a swamp. We cleaned as much of the leaves out as possible with a big skimmer, and added about 7 bottles Clorox bleach just to kill the stink.
It's now a green color and is very cloudy. To be expected.
I started SLAM yesterday. We had to add a lot of water after we opened it, so CYA tested 0. (I use a Taylor K-2006 testing kit). PH was 7.4 before I started SLAM. I bought stabilizer in powder form and poured 2 lbs into a sock and hung in front of return yesterday. I've been massaging it every few hours.
I added enough bleach to bring FC up to 26. I think that's a bit overboard considering my CYA, so I've been maintaining it at about 12-18ppm consistently. I just started the SLAM 24 hours ago, so I'm comfortable with the pool still being green and opaque. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. The filter's running 24/hrs.
Words of wisdom/advice?

Welcome to TFP!

Have you "blind" raked the bottom of the pool as much as possible to get any remaining leaves out? Anything organic in the water will slow the process. It's better to let the chlorine work on algae and stuff like that then to have to try to oxidize legacies and solids you can pull out.

I have tried to look for darker spots and used the skimmer to pull the leaves out. Is there a better method? I'm short. Lol. Should I just walk around the outside of the pool and push the skimmer around the bottom of the pool to stir it up?
Also, am I good with keeping my FC between 11-16? Or should I aim higher? I'm testing about every 2 hrs.

Welcome to TFP!

Have you "blind" raked the bottom of the pool as much as possible to get any remaining leaves out? Anything organic in the water will slow the process. It's better to let the chlorine work on algae and stuff like that then to have to try to oxidize legacies and solids you can pull out.

I your advice and just went around the entire pool raking the skimmer along the bottom and pulled out massive amounts of leaves! THANK YOU for encouraging me to do that! You just helped my efforts greatly.

Once I finished that (for now since I have a feeling I'll need to do it again), I added about 80oz of bleach (8%). I will retest in 30mins. When I tested about 2 hours ago, my FC was 11.5ppm.

Any input on what I should reach for in terms of FC at shock level? With my CYA starting at 0, but having added 2lbs (I know it can take up to a week for the test to read cya), I'm confused about what I should aim for to keep FC at shock while SLAMing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have added CYA, even if it does no register on the CYa test "assume" you reached your goal,and that much CYA is in the water for shock level purposes. If the 2 pounds should get you to CYA 30, then use the CYA/chlorine chart to adjust to that shock level.

Taking pictures is the only thing you are not going LOL

Take a picture looking down at your ladder. Take on each day. You will start to see more and more of your ladder. That helps YOU know it is working!

It will take some time but you are on the right track!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.