Question regarding Chlorine levels

Jun 24, 2008
East of Dallas
Have a SWG online this past week and still tweaking to get pump run times and % set on the generator. Currently have been running 9 hours on low speed at 50% on the generator. My latest test showed a Tot. Chlorine level of 10 and FC level of 6.4. I want it in the 3 range. I know I need to adjust the cell percentage down. Is 30% appropriate? Or should I go 10% at a time to get it adjusted?

Reading through my owner's manuals the Intellichlor has a SuperChlorination is this all I would need to do?

Pool store says to add OxySheen to shock to get rid of the combined chlorines.

pH 7.5
TA 127
CYA 70
Total Hardness 157

Thanks.

Are you testing with strips? I noticed you had a total hardness reading instead of a calcium hardness reading. Do NOT try to balance your water with strips. Also, having a FC of 6.4 and a TC of 10 means you have a LOT of CC that you need to get rid of by shocking with liquid chlorine or bleach. Using the superchlorinate funtion is not an effective way to do this. If this is the result of testing with strips is might just be testing error but if it is not you have some sort of problem going on. If you have not already done so invest in a GOOD test kit that uses the FAS-DPD chlorine test (NOT the DPD chlorine test.

If TC is 10 and FC is 6.4 then CC is 3.6. Any time CC is above 0.5 you should shock the pool. Shocking is best done by raising the FC level rapidly, which a SWG can't do. You can use the SWG to help you maintain shock level after manually adding chlorine (preferably bleach) to get to shock level in the first place.

Using OxySheen would work, but it is noticably more expensive that using chlorine.

After the CC is dealt with, I would try setting the percentage to 40% for several days and see what that does before going as low as 30%.

Got the TF test kit the the other day and tested the pool water myself.

FC 17.5, yes 35 drops, the easier test was a dark orange color.
CC .5
pH 7.6
TA 160
CH 360
CYA 70

The chlorine has been very high for the last 2 weeks or so. That is since I have had the SWG on. I have the % set down to 30,considering lowering even more. I shocked the pool last weekend to bring CC down from 3.6 that the pool store tested.

Any reason my FC level would stay so high??

I have been keeping the pH in balance every few days or so. TA is high so I will be aerating to lower that, TA should be in 90 range for SWG pool right?

Pool has had a solar blanket on it most of this past week to bring temps up a bit.

Any reason my FC level would stay so high?...........Pool has had a solar blanket on it most of this past week to bring temps up a bit.
The solar blanket is holding your FC up high....it'll come down regardless but it will do so faster with the blanket removed.

Your other numbers make sense and are not bad at all. I would suggest dropping pH furhter with muriatic acid (say around 7.2) and then test T/A again. Yes, 90 is a good number for your T/A.

I would sure turn down that SWG. You only need 2-4ppm FC so maybe running it @ 20% will give you that and you can increase the longevity of your SWG cell.

Thank you for the test kit order. It is a pleasure to see someone post some accurate numbers after being confused by the strip testing (most) pool stores do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.