Filter Run time with CYA sock method

HouTX

Apr 13, 2015
Houston, TX
I have been adding CYA directly to the skimmer without issues but I have to run the pump 12-24 hours as recommended. Yesterday I added 2lbs. of CYA in a sock and suspended it just in front of the waterfall (under the water). I am trying this method simply so that I don't have to run the pump that long when 5-6 hours of runtime seems adequate for my pool. The CYA appears to be dissolving very very slow unless I squeeze the sock and large amount of cloudy white water emerges.

My question is, is it okay to use this method and not have the pump running 24/7 ? Is it okay to squeeze the sock when the pump is not running ?

Just for good measure keep it away(at least several inches) from the interior surface of the pool. You can squeeze it with the pump off if you like. If you want to be extra precautious, disturb the water in that area with the pool brush or something after you squeeze.

The reason we suggest the sock is because people often forget they charged with Cya, and back wash it out before it dissolves. Sometimes, they need to add some prior too, or at the start of a SLAM when we know they will need back washing before it dissolves, so we started suggesting the sock method to cover these issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.