Old Pentair Six-Way Valve and Filter... Replace Whole Thing or Rebuild

caliskier

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK
So, please let me know if I am breaking any rules here I apologize. I have a long thread going about opening and cleaning a green, now red pool and I have run into a filter mess, that I need to fix before I can get back to fixing the green now red pool. I need advice on what to do, so I thought to post over here to get attention to this, fix it and then get back to cleaning up the swamp. Starting with thread number 42, you can see what happened...
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...in-OKC-Getting-ready-for-Weekend-Attack/page3

So I have an old, probably from the 1990s, Pentair TA-60 or TA-60D tank and what I think is this six-way Pentair valve. http://www.pentairpool.com/partslists/valves-six-way-1-1-2-in-hiflow-valves-4.htm#
I am not 100% sure on any of the model numbers except the tank.

So here is the question... Do I go to amazon and buy $150-200 or so in gaskets, o-rings, new lateral setup etc, or do I go and buy a whole new setup.

If a new setup, what is the best brand? Goal is quality and efficiency. I would rather spend a few extra $ today to save me time in cleaning the pool and expense for maintenance later.

Hi caliskier, I was/am following your SLAM thread, so sorry you're having to go through all of this at once.

Just throwing this out there, but have you considered also looking at craigslist? I know on the DFW craigslist in the past few weeks there were several nice looking larger sand filters listed. I was thinking about switching to a cartridge filter, wish I had gone that route from the beginning honestly.
I'm fairly new to pool ownership, so I'm afraid I'm not much help, but I'm going to follow this thread to cheer you on!

here is what has been written on filters.. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/144-maintenance-and-cleaning-of-pool-filters

If it were me I would replace, 25 years of newer tech in how the filters work... I like the cartridge for ease of use and no backwash (waste of water) because of stage 4 drought in our area, with that said, we are probably no longer in drought with the rainfall we have had..

Everyone will have their fav filter and its usually the 1 they are comfortable with, I have a cartridge in my hot tub and I know how to take care of the cart's, sand I have no idea about... :)

My two cents worth----------

I had a cartridge filter with my old pool. It worked great but it was a pain to clean. Empty it of water, take it out, hose and hose and hose it off. Lots of time and labor/effort

I now have a sand filter and LOVE it! SO easy to clean. Turn off pump, turn hand to backwash, turn pump back on and watch the dirty water run out..................Turn off pump, turn to rinse, Turn off pump, turn to pool, turn on pump and go swimming!

A cartridge will clean finer particles but will also be harder to SLAM with.

Go as big as you can. The bigger the less cleaning you will need to do.

Hi caliskier, I was/am following your SLAM thread, so sorry you're having to go through all of this at once.

Just throwing this out there, but have you considered also looking at craigslist? I know on the DFW craigslist in the past few weeks there were several nice looking larger sand filters listed. I was thinking about switching to a cartridge filter, wish I had gone that route from the beginning honestly.
I'm fairly new to pool ownership, so I'm afraid I'm not much help, but I'm going to follow this thread to cheer you on!

Thank you! that is not a bad idea. I don't know why I did not think of it. I will take a spin on the OKC side.

- - - Updated - - -

here is what has been written on filters.. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/144-maintenance-and-cleaning-of-pool-filters

If it were me I would replace, 25 years of newer tech in how the filters work...
Thais kinda where I am thinking, opportunity to maybe switch out filter type as well

- - - Updated - - -

My two cents worth----------

I had a cartridge filter with my old pool. It worked great but it was a pain to clean. Empty it of water, take it out, hose and hose and hose it off. Lots of time and labor/effort

I now have a sand filter and LOVE it! SO easy to clean. Turn off pump, turn hand to backwash, turn pump back on and watch the dirty water run out..................Turn off pump, turn to rinse, Turn off pump, turn to pool, turn on pump and go swimming!

A cartridge will clean finer particles but will also be harder to SLAM with.

Go as big as you can. The bigger the less cleaning you will need to do.

I like the idea of bigger, I wanted to ask you about your DE idea, of adding DE to a sand filter. So, I know DE does a better job of cleaning, and you really notice that at night. If we were going to have a big pool party, would putting DE in to a sand filter the day before temporarily give you about the same effect as having a real DE filter. Get where I am going, I get a sand filter, and when I want DE quality, I stick some DE in the filter.

I don't know if the DE added to the sand will give you the same clearness that a DE only will BUT I do know that it does make a difference.

I would be VERY worried about where all of the silicone was. It was put there for a reason so............better to go all new??

If I were doing it I would go all new just to get it over with. My luck would be that I would replace what I THOUGHT was bad and something else be bad so end up spending the money any way.

Kim

I don't know if the DE added to the sand will give you the same clearness that a DE only will BUT I do know that it does make a difference.

I would be VERY worried about where all of the silicone was. It was put there for a reason so............better to go all new??

If I were doing it I would go all new just to get it over with. My luck would be that I would replace what I THOUGHT was bad and something else be bad so end up spending the money any way.

Kim

Yeah, that is what I am weighing in my mind right now.

+1 on what kim said, I would get a new and bigger filter, all three types of filters do salt water... if your going to do it right, spend the money now and know it will work, they used silicone for a reason, you will never know the reason until you start the pump up and that is when you will find out if you wasted money....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, decision has been made..... Drum roll....

I bit the bullet and got the Pentair Tagelus TA60 with clear pro technology because on amazon it was 10 cents more than the regular one. I could have got it $100 cheaper on ebay, but I now have a family of frogs keeping my family awake at night and I need it here by memorial day weekend, not 2 weeks out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VU8UK2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

amazons picture is wrong at this link, but they assured me i would get the right one or free shipping back.

What is interesting about this unit is that replacement laterals are $55 each, and the ordinary ones are $8 each. But if you break more than 1 you can buy a set of the old style and it will still work for around $55.

My one concern is with my red pool, will these special laterals get clogged up...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.