Replacement pump and calculation advice

May 17, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
Hello,

My Hayward Super Pump 1HP burnt up after just 4 years of service. I've visited my local pool shop where they are recommending moving up to a 1.5HP.

I've done a lot of calculations over the last few days on feet of head, GPM etc., and I'm just not sure what to go with. My pump/filter sit up from the pool with about a 4 foot difference in height, and sits back about 75 feet from the skimmer and floor drain. I've got 1 floor drain, 1 skimmer, 3 returns, 4 deck jets. I'm also plumbed for a slide for the future. Additionally I have a Hayward Heater plumbed in.

Some pool statistics:

20x40 Pool with 33,000 gallons
Approximately 80 feet of head
1 1/2" Plumbing
244T 300lb Hayward Sand Filter

Is it still the best to calculate how many GPM I need in order to turn the pool water over? I read the "Determine Pool Pump Runtime" and it sounds like it may be a good opportunity for me to put in something with variable speeds. Where I live I usually run my pool continuously to keep it clean.

I figured I'd get way more out of my 1HP Super Pump. Is Hayward still a decent pump?
What would be a good way to control pump on time? Right now the pump is just wired to a manual switch?
Do I really need to upgrade to a 1.5HP?
If I am doing these calculations right, it seems I need larger plumbing if the goal is to hit 68.75 GPM in order to turn the pool over in an 8 hour period. Is the calculation on Inyopools "How to size a pump" accurate?

Thanks for your time...

If you read the pump run time article, you should know that GPM and turnover don't really matter and calculating GPM is a waste of time.

You could just replace the pump motor. Less expensive and less work. For a 1 HP SuperPump, a STS1102RV1 is the motor you would want.

Getting a larger pump is just a waste of electricity.

Getting a two speed pump (or motor) would save you a great deal on electricity. A variable speed is unlikely to ever pay back it's higher up front costs.

Thank you both for your replies.

1. Are there some sort of timers that would switch the motor from one speed to the other at certain times?
2. I noticed that that mount plate is melted from the other motor - can I buy just this part?
3. Is there a recommended place to go for all these things?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.