Air in basket

I've tried doing a search but I guess I'm not using the right terms.

I went out to brush the pool today and noticed that one of the returns wasn't working. I checked the pump and the basket has a lot of air in it. One of the other returns has air bubbles coming out(the one furthest from the pump) while another is running at full force (the one closest to the pump.)

I asked DH to check and he played with some valves and accidentally drained some water out of the spillover-spa. Then he had to take DS to baseball game.

Well, spa refills with super cloudy water, so now not only do I have air I have a cloudy pool.

I checked for air leaks, putting water on all the joints looking for air bubbles but found nothing. What do I do now?

Attachments

• pump1.JPG
    pump1.JPG
    451.8 KB · Views: 206
  • pump2.JPG
    pump2.JPG
    484.8 KB · Views: 206
  • pump5.JPG
    pump5.JPG
    444.3 KB · Views: 206
Sounds like a suction side leak and likely culprits are usually the seal for the pump lid basket or valves. Remove the pump lid, make sure the seal is completely clean and put a little plumbers greese on it. It sounds like you may have already checked the valves by putting water on them.

Otherwise is could be a broken pipe somewhere. Also, a diry impeller sometimes will cause those symptoms.

Others may have some more ideas.

Hi Jenn - welcome to TFP!!

Mark has given you good advice! There's an article in Pool School about leaks here

If you have any trouble locating and fixing the leak, Mark, I and the rest of the members will be here to help :goodjob:

I wish you well with fixing this problem and sincerely hope that it's the only one you ever have :!:

Okay, we think we found the issue. DH cleaned the salt cell but didn't fully tighten it. We tightened it up and the pump basket is air free.

Thanks for the help

P.S..I was out there brushing because I have some stains in the pool. I put some Vit C tabs on one and let it dissolve while I puttered with the pump. When I came back there were black spots where the Vit C tabs were. Oy.

The SWG is on the return side of the plumbing so I don't think it would have anything to do with air in the pump basket which is caused by a suction side plumbing leak. If the SWG had a leak, it would spray water because it is under pressure and you could easily tell. Something else must have solved the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.