Greetings from Marylandistan

I would use pool math to add 20 CYA to whatever you really have. Below 30 is almost impossible to detect. If you add 20, even if you have 30 you end up with a reasonable 50.

once you add it make sure you start keeping your FC at the level for 50 CYA until you can get a test numbe on the CYA.

I feel eel like I've just talked in circles, so let me know if it's not clear.

I'm a former resident of the republic of MD, but then Virginia called my name.....

I would use pool math to add 20 CYA to whatever you really have. Below 30 is almost impossible to detect. If you add 20, even if you have 30 you end up with a reasonable 50.

once you add it make sure you start keeping your FC at the level for 50 CYA until you can get a test numbe on the CYA.

I feel eel like I've just talked in circles, so let me know if it's not clear.

I'm a former resident of the republic of MD, but then Virginia called my name.....

I added a pound of stabilizer and now CYA is a more detectable level - between 20-30. PoolMath said to add more but that's all I had in the shed. It did drop my PH down. But right now our water is clear and beautiful. I need to pick up more stabilizer.

Lots of folks escaped over the Potomac River during the O'Malley Rain Tax Administration. That's why they raised all of the bridge tolls. Costs more to leave! Our fantastic Governor Hogan is reducing them on July 1 though if you decide to visit!

I added a pound of stabilizer and now CYA is a more detectable level - between 20-30. PoolMath said to add more but that's all I had in the shed. It did drop my PH down. But right now our water is clear and beautiful. I need to pick up more stabilizer.

Lots of folks escaped over the Potomac River during the O'Malley Rain Tax Administration. That's why they raised all of the bridge tolls. Costs more to leave! Our fantastic Governor Hogan is reducing them on July 1 though if you decide to visit!
I'll actually be in PG County visiting friend in a couple of weeks. I was long gone by the rain tax days having moved south. I do not miss the commute into DC on either 50 on your side or 66 on the west side. The new Silver Line is near my old house, so I may have been able to start using it. But I can say, when I sold and moved south I got twice the land, 50% bigger house, extra 3 car detached garage "man cave" and a pool for 1/2 the money I sold in VA for.

Back to the task at hand - WalMart should still have CYA in the seasonal pool section.

I'm finding it interesting that last year I ran my SWG at 40% the entire summer and I don't recall testing high for chlorine. This year, I'm running the SWG at 20% and I'm consistently at, or above 5 on FC. My equipment runs 24/7 so the SWG truly runs 20% of the day. Even if I turn it off overnight, or for the afternoon, FC remains high. We've also had major rain events over the last 2 weeks (like 6+") which have caused me to pump water out 5 times. I don't think I pumped water out 5 times all summer last year. This is also WITH the solar blanket on my pool (which again doesn't seem to matter either way, on or off.)

Salt: 3300
FC: 6.0
CC: 0
CH: 150
TA: 110
PH: 7.5
CYA: 40

Last edited: