How bad does it look? Where do i start?

Welcome to the forum Detroit!

You will need to complete what we call a SLAM process on the pool to kill the Algae. It requires raising the chlorine level up, and keeping it up until the pool is cleared. You can begin reading about that process by clicking the links in my signature. You need a proper kit, and a little knowledge which you can acquire here. Others will chime in with help as well. Enjoy your time on TFP.

Welcome! :wave:

Great picture. We love swamp pictures.
attachment.php

Before anything else, you need to know where you're at chemistry-wise. Pool store testing doesn't cut it, nor do test strips. And most test kits sold by stores won;t read chlorine high enough. There's a lengthy writeup in Pool School, but you could always skip it and head straight for TFtestkits. get the XL option now, you'll need it for that swamp. Yes, it's a chunk o'change, but it will save you at least that much if it keeps you out of the pool store. And no, I don't get a kickback for endorsing it, either.

While you wait for test results, start dredging with a leaf rake.
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

And when your arms and back get tired, take a break and read some Inspirational Stories. Do what they did. Some of those pools looked worse than yours initially.

You will find that all of our responses will be repedative. All of what you seek and then some, will be found in Pool School (button top right of every page).

You will need a test kit like the TF100.
A leaf rake like Richard posted.
Liquid chlorine
Knowledge.... Understanding what we tell you and you'll only get that from actively participating in pool school.

Welcome to TFP. Well be here to answer all you're questions.

Been pulling gunk out using this guy
CEqO256

When should I turn the filter on? Should I get it up and running and watch the pressure? I grabbed 5 cases of bleach to start. Test kit should be here tomorrow!
6eKh8Y3
Can't see it. :rant: You ran out of picture space. Easiest is to open an account at some photosharing place and then just post the URL. Photo tutorial

If the dredging is coming up empty, then, yes, I'd say it's time to fire up the pump and see that it works. You'll have to have circulation to do the SLAM, and it'll need to mix well before you take your first pool chemistry readings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay... air in the returns is normal after you start the filter up after it's been empty. If it persists more than fifteen minutes, you got problems. It should have gone away pretty much in about two minutes.

You'll need the TA reading to calculate the acid dose to lower pH. Your pH may be higher than 8.2, since that's the limit of the tester. Just enter 8.2 now and 7.2 target and whatever the TA values is currently. Add the acid. Let it mix, and see if you hit it. You might need a second dose.

When pH is good and the filter is working properly, hit it.

Returns did not clear up, bubbles for sure. Are they cracked? Would I notice a significant loss of water if that's the case? Skimmer seems to be slowwww
You have an air leak on the suction side of the system. That's skimmers to pump outlet. Common causes are low water level, the flapper in the skimmer stick, the gasket under the pump basket lid, the drain plugs on the pump, and the fittings. I'd go over everything again, especially those unions with the O-rings. And look in the skimmers. You don't want to see whirlpool with a vortex sucking air.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.