Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I believe I have a small leak in the pool as when I did the pail test, it looked like I was loosing about 1/2-3/4" of water in a 5 day period.

While closing this year, when I removed the eyeball from the return lines, I noticed that all had cracks in the plate behind the eyeball where the screws attach it to the side walls.

I have 3 returns, a side wall vacuum port, and a skimmer in the water system to the pool. I have drained the water below the skimmer and all plates. The returns and side vacuum port plates all have cracks.

1) Can I replace these myself?
2) Should I do it before now or wait until spring?
3) I'm wondering about the seal around the skimmer plate. How do I remove the face plate around the skimmer to look at the seal where I assume screws attach it to the side wall?

Additionally, I noticed that after draining below the returns that the liner above the water line
has about 1/16-1/8" of air between the liner and the wall. Is this unusual?

Carl, always a pleasure to 'see' you here - I just wish it was under more pleasant circumstances :mrgreen:

The return faceplates need to be replaced :evil: I believe that for Hayward faceplates the part # is SP 1408 -(?)

You can replace them anytime you want but, when you do - don't overtighten the 4 screws!!! That's what led to this problem to begin with :hammer: The screws should be 'snug' but you don't need an impact wrench to put them on :p

BTW - I'd look for the leak elsewhere, cracked faceplates don't leak much

[please see the article in Pool School on leaks here for some more info on finding a leak 8) ]

Have a GREAT winter!!

Thanks for the advice waste.
Our pool was installed a 4 years ago, and the faceplates have never been messed with.
Is there a gasket or seal I need to worry about?

How do I remove the skimmer face plate without breaking it.
It feels like if I fidget around with it, it will click off, but I'm not sure.

As for the leak, now that I have the water below the ports, I'll continue the pail test.
The water is mid 50s. Too cold to do any in pool leak detection.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.