Sta-rite SR400NA not starting

bigdave

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2007
Boise Idaho
I just moved to a 8 year old house this past winter with a pool. I just started everything up and fixed a few leaky gaskets and the usual. However, the heater will not start up.

Once power is applied the heater displays 128, then a code across the display is r=5 .

Then the display disappears, absolutely no lights on the front panel. Pushing buttons gets no response. Neither service light are on either.

I turned off, then on again to look under the lid, all diag lights come on during boot, then all off again. No trouble codes.

Basket, filter, everything clean and pressure seems to be flowing great out of outlets in pool.

Any advise?

Your issue could be the keypad or the board under neath the key pad. I would first consider replacing the keypad. Seems like the board is booting up OK based upon the fact it's displaying the rev level etc.

I believe I have found the issue. This morning I followed the "Heater will not fire - A" in the trouble shooting section of the manual (page 38).
http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/MaxEThermOM.pdf

I got to the very last box in the middle of the page, when I jumper-ed the pins 4&6 together, the heater fired up and started running. The flow chart says if the light goes on for the Pool at that time, then your answer is the membrane pad. Once the unit was running I tried to adjust the up/down buttons for the temp and nothing would happen, which confirms a problem with the pad.

Thanks Paul for your response, you nailed it before I read your post.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.