Not sure what to adjust first

Aug 1, 2014
MO
I opened my pool on April 26th. Leisure grand riveria, 14 x 34' fiberglass, approx 17000 gallons. Put in 3 bags of shock, got everything running and had some issues with suction side leaks. Got those worked out and so far my chlorinator has dissolved 7 full 3" pucks and roughly half of the 5 pucks I refilled it with. My readings this morning at 3:30 am when I got home from work are:
Fc: 0
Ph: less than 6.4. Lowest reading on test strips
Alk: 0
Cya: 0
Hrd: 200

Should I raise my ph first? I am a little confused about where to start since my water is crystal clear. I verified the strips are reading choosing by opening my chlorinator and dipping a strip in the top. I stopped today at the pool store and got a better test kit (wanted to get a drop test kit instead of strips) and will check this morning when I get home. This is my first time opening my pool, got it installed in July last year. My parents always had a pool as I was growing up and never saw the water that far out of specs like this and still have clear water. Thanks for any suggestions!

pool001.jpg

First, turn that pool over so the water doesn't spill out :mrgreen:

Those pucks you're using are very acidic, which is why the pH and TA are so low. Hopefully your water hasn't started etching the heater core. Borax will raise pH with small effect on TA. Baking Soda will raise TA with small effect on pH. Washing Soda aka Soda Ash aka pH up aka Sodium Carbonate (not bicarbonate) will raise both, which is what I recommend you use, and quickly. That pH is far enough off to irritate skin and eyes, no matter how pretty it looks.

Check your pool supplies for pH increaser. If you don't have any laying around, start shopping for Washing Soda at the grocery store or Walmart or someplace like that . If your local stores don't sell it, check the hardware stores and big box stores for pH up and read the label. Last choice is the pool store for pH up.

When you adjust the pH up, you might not reach your goal with just the one dose. The farther you get from the center oif the scale, the further off pool math calculations get. So you might need to dose a second time.

k2-_02026791-4010-4341-a45b-d7343ac6536e.v1.jpg

Got the picture fixed, why my phone and ipad always upload upside down I'm not sure but thats an issue for another time. I did stop and get the washing soda as well on the way to work, bought 2 boxes and will be adding in there once I get home. Just wanted to make sure Im going the correct route trying to adjust the PH first.

It is a "feature" that most apples seem to have.

Welcome to TFP!

Have you gotten one of the recommended test kits, Test Kit Comparison?

How do you plan to Chlorinate Your Pool?

Please update your location and signature as shown here.

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read while you wait for your test kit
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.