A little about myself...

May 16, 2015
Lakeland, FL
I grew up in Northern Wisconsin in the sixties. My parent's house had an in ground pool when we moved in and i became the most popular kid in the neighborhood come summertime. This behemoth was 20' x 40' and eight feet deep. it was usually ice-free about this time of year and the water probably never got much above the mid seventies even in the hottest part of summer. The contractor that built it kept a lot of the shade trees around it because they looked nice. Still, I learned how to swim like a fish and helped my dad with pool maintenance. We had a big sand filter and all plumbing was above ground so we could drain it completely before each winter.

I now live in Florida and somehow bought a lovely house without a pool. A total coin flip from back up north. Anyway, until I hit the lottery or something lands in my lap, an AGP is the way we keep cool. This year I decided to go all out and buy the biggest pool that would fit within the screen enclosure on our lanai. Previously we had bought the quick set, rubber donut style pools, but were unsatisfied with the depth and available swim area.

We erected/assembled the pool per instructions, filled it, constructed the inside stairs and got the filter/pump running. I ordered a saltwater system from Walmart.com and it should vbe here in a week or so. My question is, should I add shock or any other chemicals until I get the saltwater system up and running? I fear 7-10 days in this 90+ degree weather will allow too much algae growth if I do nothing. Opinions?

Thanks in advance,
Tommy

Hi, welcome to TFP! Absolutely get started on those pool chemicals. Until the SWG arrives use regular unscented chlorine bleach to sanitize your pool. PoolMath will tell you how much bleach to add. Also you should buy enough CYA to raise the stabilizer level to 60-70ppm. You can get stabilizer at the Walmart. Add it to the pool buy putting it in a clean white sock and dropping it into the skimmer basket or hang it over the side of the pool in front of the return flow. Give the sock a few good squeezes every day to help it dissolve faster. You can also go ahead and get started on adding salt. PoolMath will tell you how much CYA and salt you need.

I also recommend a high quality FAS/DPD test kit such as a Taylor K2006 or a TF 100 . A good test kit is an investment in your pool and will reward you with accurate test results you need to keep your water sparkling!

Welcome! How's the pool coming along? Hopefully clean and clear!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support