Cleared Pool But Now Have Few Extreme Readings

TFP newbie but have owned / cared for two saltwater pools just outside Tallahassee, FL for 10 years.

Reason for posting is that a resistor had to be replaced on my aquarite SWG system board (guessing a few on the forum painfully appreciate it's a common problem) and unfortunately what clued me in to the resistor being bad was my pool turning green. :cry:

I used 8.5% Clorox to successfully begin clearing the water in our 23,000 gallon pool, quickly got my repaired board back in, and between the Clorox and the SWG system working again a week later my water is largely cleared (no green color evident, heavier particulates vacuumed out, water bluish again and clear enough to see drain at deep end though still a wee bit hazy in deep end versus sparkling clear.

Reason for posting is I just got the TF100 testkit after years of using a Wally World basic kit, and have found I've got some rather extreme readings. Wish I could say I tested this morning before sun came up but was actually an hour or two after sun-up and for fyi purposes, SWG had not yet come on.

- Salt - 3200
- Free Chlorine: 1.5
- Total Chlorine: 1.5
- pH: 8.2
- Total Alkalinity: 140
- Calcium Hardness: 130
- Cyanuric Acid: less than lowest TF100 reading / guessing close to 0.

Before getting the TF100, the Wally World chlorine tests I performed at day's end over the last week were showing 3.0 numbers, so guessing it confirms the SWG is working, but due to the lower numbers I got this morning with the TF100 I'm guessing low CYA numbers were allowing the chlorine to significantly drop off overnight and in the morning until the SWG kicked in again.

Fairly comfortable I can keep fine tuning the SWG in to keep chlorine numbers ideal but don't know how best to attack the CYA, CH, and Ph.

Using poolcalculator.com, it's sharing that for a 23,000 gallon pool I should add:

Ph - 43 ounces muratic 31%
CH - 443 ounces calcium chloride
CYA - 200 ounces stabilizer

So here's my questions -- should I adjust all at once? Follow an order tackling them? Err on the side of making too small adjustments versus too large? Answers to any of the questions AS WELL AS ANY ADDITIONAL INSIGHT will be GREATLY appreciated!

Start with getting the PH down. Dose with the pump running. Let it run for about 30 mins and test again. Adjust as needed.

CYA------I want to make sure you are reading the test the right way. When you say the lowest TF100 reading do you mean that you can fill the tube all the way up to the top and still see the black dot?

If you would please fill in your pool info. so it stays at the bottom of your posts so we can all know what kind and size of pool we are helping with. Here is a link on how to do it. THANKS!

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

Kim (also in Tallahassee)

Stopstopstopstop!

"- Cyanuric Acid: less than lowest TF100 reading / guessing close to 0." Does that mean you filled the view tube to the top and got nothing, or that you didn't even reach the mark before the dot disappeared? That scale is upside down.

If you're indicating less than 30, no big deal. Adding CYA is easy. You might have some in the water, so aim low. You don;t want to overshoot. With a SWG, target 50 for now. After a week, if it still shows low, bring it up the rest of the way.
pH reading 8.2 could mean it's even higher. So if you add what it calls for and it still reads high, it doesn't mean you did anything wrong. Just repeat it until the color shifts.
What surface is your pool? If you have a vinyl liner, who cares about CH?

Oh, almost forgot, Welcome :wave:

And congratulations on the purchase of your test kit.

Pool surface is concrete and pool was constructed in 1994 and already has minor pitting in few spots. From what little I've read, guessing I do need to be concerned with the CH.

Hoping the signature info shows up with this post too, as appreciate the info surely helps. And kimkats, I'm stretching a bit with the "Tallahassee" location but figured not everyone on the forum would recognize Lloyd or Wacissa FL. ;)

I for sure know where Lloyd is. I live off of the Parkway. I go through Lloyd to get on I-10.

Yes you do need to look at your CH with a concrete pool. Are you sure it is concrete? I have heard of plaster and such but concrete? Interesting!

Your siggy info did show up. THANKS!

Now you can "Feed" us here at TFP and post a pic or two of your pool. We LOVE pics!

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.