Plumbing for a solar heater?

Apr 27, 2015
Bloomfield, NJ
I have ordered a solar heater which I want to add to my pool this year. It is a 2' wide x 20' long heater. I am trying to figure out what items I need to install it. Here is a diagram of how I think it's supposed to be installed:

Plumbing-solar-heater.jpg

After the water leaves the pool and flows through the filter pump, it then comes to point 1 where there is a diverter valve which allows me to divert some of the water to the solar heater. The diverted water then returns at point 2 and rejoins the water entering the pool.

My questions:
1. Is this the correct setup?
2. Do I need two diverter valves at points 1 and 2? Or do I just need a 3-way splitter at point 2?
3. Do I install the diverter on the outlet pipe of the filter pump itself? Or do I run a short length of hose from the filter pump to the diverter valve?
4. I need to buy the additional runs of hose to go to and from the solar heater (about 20' from my pump). I believe that the hose for my pool is 1-1/4" diameter. I found 1-1/4" hose on Amazon that says it is for pool vacuums. Is that OK to use?
5. Any recommendations of a particular brand/style of diverter?
6. Do I simply use hose clamps to connect the hoses at each connection?
7. Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Welcome to TFP!

1) Yes.
2) No, just a pipe T at point 2.
3) Either way.
4) Various kinds of hose will work. I recommend using 1 1/2" where possible. Whatever kind of hose you get, you need to get the corresponding fittings to attach it together.
6) Typically you would attach barbed hose fittings to the valve and T and then clamp the hose to those.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.