High TA

May 12, 2015
Indianapolis
I have an extremely high TA>300. My pool is 8,000 gallons. My ph is approx 7.6. How much acid should MA should I add at a time? I'm sure I'll have to do this multiple times since TA is so high. Need some guidance on this process please.

A few questions back at ya

1) What test kit are you using? If it's strips, trust only the pH, and not very much.
2) If it's a Taylor or TF100 kit, be aware that you can have static electricity on a fresh bottle of R-009. Check out Extended Test Kit Directions, notes under post 6.
3) What are the rest of your readings? If you have high CH, you're probably at risk of scaling, so lowering TA is definitely called for. What's the CYA? If it's too high, you'll want a partial drain, so why treat water you're only going to dump?

You probably want to review the Poolmath How-to and Lowering TA.

All that being said... 6 cups of 31.45% acid should put you down to 7.2 or 7.3 pH. You'll see a reduction in TA of about 20 after the first round.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Today I got a TA reading of 220 and Ph of 7.7. I believe there is some calcium build up along the water line. This means I should try lower TA correct?
Still waiting for CH and CYA readings. There comes a point with Calcium Hardness where nothing you can do will stop scale from forming. It might be time for a partial drain. Who knows?

Waterline stains can be dissolved with 1:3 acid in a spray bottle and some scrubbing, or a pumice stone and some aching knees and shoulders.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.