Acid dropped ph but not TA

Apr 9, 2013
So last night I had TA of 140, ph of 7.8. I added the required acid (72oz into 13.3k gallons) that should of dropped ph to 7.0. This morning sure enough, ph is reading 7.0 but TA is still showing 140. I'm about aerate now to raise ph back up.

Do I just keep doing this process until TA drops to 90?

CSI is -0.23 once ph is back up

Full numbers:

Ph 7.6 (once I aerate)
Calcium 300
TC 9
FC 0
TA 140
Water temp 69

Yes, just keep at it. The TA will go down, though not always by enough to show up on the test in a single step. Over several cycles the small changes will accumulate, and you will eventually get there.

You're well within the tolerances of the TA test. At most, you could have expected to see a drop of 20 TA.

The big question is why are you worried about it? As the article is careful to explain
You shouldn't lower TA just to reach a target number. Make sure you actually have one of the above issues before lowering your TA.
The recommended 70-90+ goal is if you need to raise TA; you need a target. If you're above it, and you don't have some problem that requires immediate action, you just plug in your current TA as the target and move along.

Micromanaging the chemistry seems too much like the pool store method to me, the continuous addition of expensive chemicals. You hit 7.8 pH, so something needed to be done, but I would have just targeted 7.2 or 7.3 and left it alone with out the need to aerate to get pH back up to the safe swimming zone.

I have had similar issues as you. Each time I added acid, the pH would go down but the TA would not or just barely. I found that my pH would go back up so I would add more. After several times, I am now seeing a drop in my TA. Keep at it. They can be rather stubborn at times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.