Do I really need to replace 50% of my water?

Everything seems pretty stable after the drain and refill and the pool has never looked better. I tested last evening at 5:00 while sun was still out and again this morning. I lost 1.2FC, so a SLAM may be in order but I will wait until after the Memorial Day party. They CYA is a touch high at 60 but okay. I'll probably see how it is after a month or so of evaporation and rain.

99cc2a49681ab30fe5108f3a8e40cdab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to see the positive progress!

Just remember, evaporation does not lower CYA nor does rain unless you have to pump water out of the pool which takes CYA with it. I constructed a rain harvesting system off one of my roof gutters so that in a good rain I had to pump out an inch or two. I have recently reached my goal of 50 CYA and have disconnected it.

Wouldn't dilution have the same effect without needing to pump?

If I lose an inch from evap and splash out, then add an inch of tap water or gutter water I should get the same effect without pump removal, correct?

Wouldn't dilution have the same effect without needing to pump?

If I lose an inch from evap and splash out, then add an inch of tap water or gutter water I should get the same effect without pump removal, correct?

Splashout = CYA reduction because water is leaving the pool.

Rain dilution does not = CYA reduction. When the water evaporates the CYA stays behind, actually raising the CYA level in the pool. Adding the water back from said evaporation only lowers the CYA back to where it was before the evaporation. We are talking tiny changes, well below the testing levels. But, no CYA loss unless water physically leaves the pool in its liquid form taking the CYA with it in solution.

You also loose 1 - 2 ppm per month of CYA as it degrades.

As of this morning,

CYA 35
FC 1.6
CC 0.0
Ph 7.6

(From Sunday)
TA 70
CH 160

Life got busy, so my last chlorine add was Tuesday morning. I dropped below the recommended minimum of 2-3, but at least I didn't go to zero.

Just added a gallon of bleach and will check tonight and tomorrow as the people and smoker start up tomorrow.

I also had to add a touch of water from evap and splash, which for Dallas is surprising lately :)

The water is now so clear, I can see tiny brown spots on the pool. Vigorous rubbing with Vitamin c tablets seemed to do nothing. I cannot make a dent in them with a steel brush.

They are 2-4mm wide and very focused (no edge bleeding)

One patch of them appears where I had a pile of sycamore leave resting for months before I got on top of this pool thing.

Any thoughts?

I'll try and get an underwater camera on them this weekend.

Well, if you can get a trichlor tab and put it on a stain that will tell you if it is organic. I have a few small brown stains on the bottom that were there when I bought the house/pool. So far I haven't figured out what they are, but to be honest I don't notice them anymore...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.