Power out - question about maintaining FC

SunnyBama

Platinum Supporter
Feb 27, 2015
Birmingham, Alabama
We had a tree fall on our power line coming to the house and the power will likely be out until Monday. My plan right now is to test FC a couple of times per day and adjust the level with bleach as needed. Since the pump won't be running, I'm going to brush the pool to keep things circulated. Sound like a good plan? Any other suggestions?

It's about all you can do. You may want to add a little "extra" over what your normal FC would be but not up to shock level.

My wife wonders why I have a whole house generator....

The brushing will be key, helping circulate everything. If it is warm enough to swim, hop in and get the water moving. Add chlorine either right after swimming or right before brushing. If everything was balanced to TFPC specs before the power loss then the pool should have no trouble handling a couple days without the filter.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Now you have a good excuse to buy a wall whale brush, if you don;t already have one. It can move some water. Brush down one side and halfway across the floor and wait for the wave to erupt on the other side. Just don't put the flap to maximum angle. It's a good way to bend the pole. Ask me how I know....

gabby-frontpage-gary-and-water.jpg

We had a tree fall on our power line coming to the house and the power will likely be out until Monday. My plan right now is to test FC a couple of times per day and adjust the level with bleach as needed. Since the pump won't be running, I'm going to brush the pool to keep things circulated. Sound like a good plan? Any other suggestions?

You should be fine. When my pump went out and couldn't get a replacement for about 10 days or so, I did what you're considering and didn't have any issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Take a 5 gallon bucket and drag it into the pool as if you were filing it with water. Then dump it back in the pool. Then repeat. You may want to move to various sections of the pool and repeat. You would be surprised how much water you can move by doing this.

I actually use this to mix in bleach into the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.