I started up my own pool!!!!

Jun 12, 2014
Sharpsville, IN
Okay, so the poll company didn't show up to start up my pool. So I said fine! I'll do it myself!

Here's my initial reading after start-up and 2 gallons of shock (not enough, I know, it's all I had on hand, since the pool company didn't show)

5/16:
FC:1
CC: 3
TC:4
CH: 150
TA: 300
CYA: 0 <- YIKES!
PH: 7.8 <- Not too bad!

Someone remind me how I am supposed to lower my TA and raise my CYA??

Lynzizzle- good for you for taking charge! It looks like you need to do a SLAM with a cc >.5. You will need to buy stabilizer (CYA) and add that to your pool. Just use pool math to help figure out how much you'll need. There is also a CYA/Chlorine chart in pool school so you will know how many ppm of chlorine you'll need for your level of CYA. When I started out, I shot for the 30-40 range. Just make sure your chlorine SLAM level coordinates with the amount of CYA that you've decided on.

TA is a frustration for me right now as well. It drives your pH up quickly, so make sure to lower your pH to 7.2 with MA before you start your SLAM. TA will decrease with time as you lower your pH. Aerating your water is a good way to lower pH - think rain, kids splashing around or fountains. PH test results are unreliable during SLAM.

Last edited:
Im sure this was a typeo, but just to clarify....

Aeration actually rasises pH.

To lower TA, does with MA to lower pH and TA and aerate to raise pH

TA is a frustration for me right now as well. It drives your pH up quickly, so make sure to lower your pH to 7.2 with MA before you start your .... . .... Aerating your water is a good way to lower pH - think rain, kids splashing around or fountains. PH test results are unreliable during SLAM.

The big question: what does the water look like?

High CC and low CYA could point to Ammonia formation. There's a lot of that this year.

Your TA may not be that high. Did you wipe the tip on the bottle of reagent? Static electricity can cause the drops to be smaller than they should be giving you a false high reading.

CC that high means a SLAM is needed. But hold your horses....

My advice: target 7.4 pH first using acid. If you end up below that, it means TA wasn't as high as you thought. Next, take FC up to 8 or 10 and brush a little while the pump is also mixing things. Half an hour after adding, take FC & CC readings. If CC has gone up even more and FC has gone way down, you have ammonia. Post back and we can walk you through it.

Once the CC starts to drop, then you'll be wanting to get some CYA in there and proceed with the SLAM as usual.

Good stuff, congrats!

Welcome to TFP!

Here are some intro Pool School articles to read while you wait for your test kit
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals to maintain your pool.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

I already have my test kit as I used the TFP method last year.

- - - Updated - - -

All - I went ahead and added CYA to the water via sock method to slowly integrate into the system. My pool is clearing up rather quickly actually and holding Chlorine steady at 10. Yesterday's CC reading was down and PH down to 7.2.

SLAM is already in full effect.

- - - Updated - - -

The big question: what does the water look like?

High CC and low CYA could point to Ammonia formation. There's a lot of that this year.

Your TA may not be that high. Did you wipe the tip on the bottle of reagent? Static electricity can cause the drops to be smaller than they should be giving you a false high reading.

CC that high means a SLAM is needed. But hold your horses....

My advice: target 7.4 pH first using acid. If you end up below that, it means TA wasn't as high as you thought. Next, take FC up to 8 or 10 and brush a little while the pump is also mixing things. Half an hour after adding, take FC & CC readings. If CC has gone up even more and FC has gone way down, you have ammonia. Post back and we can walk you through it.

Once the CC starts to drop, then you'll be wanting to get some CYA in there and proceed with the SLAM as usual.

Water is clear. A little green from algae growth but the algae is dying.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll get you guys a reading tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.