Added Polyquat and FC tanked

Aug 12, 2013
South Louisiana
I added an initial dose of polyquat (12 oz) last night and my FC was at 1 ppm tonight. Today was cloudy an I got about 2 inches of rain. My FC normally doesn't drop that bad with rain. My CYA is at 40 and I've been maintaining a FC level of 5 ppm. Lately, I've been loosing 1 to 1.5 ppm per day and that's with 10 to 12 hours of sun. Is it possible the large dose of polyquat killed by FC or is this a sign of something bad to come?

I'll be raising by CYA in a few weeks bc I get so much sun and I'm always fighting algae.

Ok,

1.5 loss per day is expected. With a lot of full Sun on the pool, I would expect even more. I would expect more even if the Cya was in the suggested range as well. Just curious why you are waiting a few weeks to add Cya if you know you are low? Algae problems are due to inadequate FC levels is all. This is why you are fighting it all the time. What is your current Cya level right now? If you always have 5PPM FC, you shouldn't have Algae with low Cya especially. It sounds like you need to do a SLAM. When you find this reply, run a full set with the TF100 and post back. We can help you fix this no problem.

Actually, I have found in the past that large doses of polyquat fight/consume chlorine more rapidly in my pool as well. (I don't even use it anymore, but used do prior to AA treatments.)

I would just check more frequently and keep dosing your FC to its higher end for another day (eg 7) and see if after that you were still dropping.

Since I was home today, I checked my FC midday and mid-afternoon. More major drop in FC so I brought the FC back up and checked the CYA. Unfortunately, I got caught with my pants down on the reagent and came up a tiny bit short, but I made a conservative estimate and added CYA. I ran a sample to a nearby pool store, but their numbers in all categories were significantly different from mine, so I went with my numbers because my testing chemicals are less than a year old.

Ordered more reagent on order. Thanks for the help. Yall are awesome.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.