Are suction cleaners mainly for sand filters because of the backwash option?

Mar 14, 2015
San Antonio, TX
We just finished remodeling our pool and we went with the Pentair 520 cartridge and it filters pollen and fine particles much better than our old sand filter. The pressure cleaner works fine but there always seems to be a fine layer of dust/pollen that it just stirs up. I like the idea of also getting a suction side cleaner to get the fine stuff but I just seems like it's going to clog the cartridge filter much faster. I guess the fine particles are going to make it to the filter one way or another. Are there a lot of people with cartridge filters that mainly use suction cleaners?

Please update your location with the part of Texas you are in so we can give better advice, either nearby city or region, Texas covers many climate zones, and conditions, for example in this case are we talking about west Texas dust or something more mundane? (for those that don't know west Texas dust is a unique substance, some suspect it is the illegitimate child of baby powder and super glue.

I think most folks really dont consider which type filter they have when considering a cleaner.
The 520 Cartidge is a nice big one, so that's good.

I really dont see any advantage in a suction side vs pressure side cleaner in the context of your post.

If you are considering a different cleaner, have you considered a robot? They are very good at cleaning very fine dirt, even the illegitimate child kind, from the pool. :) Most of them use pleated filters in them that trap those very fine particles and the filters are really easy to clean.

A robot would get the dirt out, and the added bonus is that stuff wouldn't go into your filter. I know they are considerably more expensive than a suction side cleaner, but a lot of us think its a good investment considering the ease of use, electric usage and it dont put all that stuff in our filter which will extend the cleaning time of it.

We just finished remodeling our pool and we went with the Pentair 520 cartridge and it filters pollen and fine particles much better than our old sand filter. The pressure cleaner works fine but there always seems to be a fine layer of dust/pollen that it just stirs up. I like the idea of also getting a suction side cleaner to get the fine stuff but I just seems like it's going to clog the cartridge filter much faster. I guess the fine particles are going to make it to the filter one way or another. Are there a lot of people with cartridge filters that mainly use suction cleaners?

I am perfectly happy with my suction cleaner (barracuda g2) and cartridge filter. The pump strainer basket catches anything big, and the rest winds up in the cartridge. I probably go 6 or 8 weeks between cartridge cleanings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.