Lighting advice-Globrites Vs Intellibrite???

May 11, 2015
Naples/FLORIDA
Here is the design of my pool. The only major change is that the pool depth will be 3'6" - 5'6" - 4'6". Also the far end swimout will no longer be two level but only 18" deep now.

My PB insists that Globrites are way to go. He builds pools in multimillion dollar homes and have not used itellibrites 5g in years.

He currently suggest 2 globrites in the pool, 1 globrite in the swimout and 1 globrite in the spa. He believes this is the way to go instead of intellibrites. I am ok with going with globrites as it means smaller lighting but more so adds more flexibility in using the lights.

Do you think the current set up is sufficient? I was thinking of adding another globrite either on the sun deck in the shallow end or at the steps facing the spa.

Would love to hear your opinions. Especially from people who have only used globrites.

Re: Lighting advice

I'm sorry I don't know about the Globrites, but perhaps they are nicer. If he is putting them in high end pools, and those customers like them, then they might be pretty nice.

I can't tell where the house is, but I think you have enough lighting. Just point the lights away from the house side if that's where you normally sit at night. If the lights are pretty bright in the pool and shining at you, it can be pretty annoying.

I also Edited your title so that someone can see you are asking about that particular light brand. More chance you'll get an answer on that specific issue.

I have GloBrites. It seemed like a while ago they had a high failure rate. I had one replaced after a few months I think. The replacement as well as the original have worked fine since. I have two in my pool. I can't answer about the Intellibrites. I have my GloBrites connected to an intellicontroller. My wife likes the multicolor shows I just like one color. Your pool looks like it will be much larger than mine. Might ask about putting two lights in the pool area.

Thanks for the suggestions. Right now, I have two globrites in the pool and one at the 18" swim out int he upper right of the pool. Is this enough?

If not, I was thinking of adding another globrite at the sun ledge in the lower left of the pool facing the spa. This would light up that sun ledge but my concern here is this sun ledge is only 9" deep. Will a globrite work in such shallow water and is it even worth it with such shallow water.

Another option is to have it placed in the second step facing the spa...that will light up the area between sun ledge and spa on the left side of the pool, but with this option, the sun ledge in the shallow end will clearly be not lit at all...

Please help? Utterly confused here.

The top edge of the GloBrite lens has to be at least 4" below the normal level of the water. 9" should be fine since they are not that big diameter wise. They are very bright though. That alone might give an unpleasant look. Although, my sun shelf is not lit and it kind of looks dull. However a good thing about them is they are LED. They do not get hot. They run @ 12vac.

I have GloBrites. It seemed like a while ago they had a high failure rate. I had one replaced after a few months I think. The replacement as well as the original have worked fine since. I have two in my pool. I can't answer about the Intellibrites. I have my GloBrites connected to an intellicontroller. My wife likes the multicolor shows I just like one color. Your pool looks like it will be much larger than mine. Might ask about putting two lights in the pool area.

Update to this post since it has been a little more than a year that I have had GloBrites, it might help someone. The GloBrites worked great up until we got hit by lightning. I lost a lot of electronics. Thankfully, the GloBrites were the only pool item damaged. Now I have to replace both. What made my jaw drop is the price. I've seen prices in the range of $250-$300 US each. Needless to say, I will have half-working lights for awhile. I have better things to spend $500-$600 on.

Alan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.