OCD in action!

cbach

May 15, 2015
Midlothian, Texas
Yes, I'm a bit anal I guess, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Anyway, after purchasing a new-to-us home with a beautiful 24k gunite saltwater in-ground, and enjoying it for a year, it has become clear that salt and natural stone don't mix....erosion! So going to shut down the generator this year and go TFP method. Just received my TF100 test kit tonight and will have the results up tomorrow, but already know my CYA is ~80 so will liked be draining half of it tomorrow and prepare to SLAM, as we've had a bit of algae this spring that keeps creeping back no matter how hard I hit it.

Looking forward to crystal clear water and ultimate control of our oasis.

David

Well, just a little,of my OCD coming out, but nothing in TFP is against salt pools. TFP is not a bleach only system.

TFP is based on accurate testing and adding a what your pool needs, when it needs it. Many here use salt systems, others of us use liquid automation systems (Liquadator or Stenner) while some still use pucks. It's all about understanding what you are putting in the water and controlling it.

Understood...I love the salt system, and wish I could continue with it, but in 5 years there won't be any stone left. We sealed all the stone/flagstone last year, but a bunch of it is red sandstone and the salt is still eating it up.
that is a common complaint from those with softer stone work around a salt pool. A few folks,have shown up,here looking for alternatives because their pool builder would not install a SWG because of their stone.

Welcome to TFP David! :cheers:

I have bad news for you I'm afraid. If the stone is going, it will continue to go, but perhaps at a slower rate. I have some similar pieces doing similar things and I don't have a SWG. Salt does influence degradation issues with little doubt, but I'm just saying not to expect it to stop.

So here are my current measurements. FC-5, CC-<.5, CYA-60, CA-375, TA-176, CH-400, PH-7.2 but just hit with acid and know it'll bounce up. Water is clear but have a little stubborn algae that returns in the shadowed areas every few days. A LOT of rain here the last few weeks and little sun. This is still a salt pool but don't know the ppm at this time, the SWG is not working so I've been keeping the chlorine up with powder. Thinking the plan of action is to clean the de filter, get the TA down to ~70 and SLAM with bleach.

I think we've decided to replace the SWG and seal the stone again, as we enjoy the feel of saltwater and the simplicity of the system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Too hot...guessing either the builders estimate of capacity is high or the bleach was stronger than average, as it was bottled on the 7th. Tests FC-31 at the moment. Morning will tell the tale.
many time this builders volume is based on filling water all the way to the top of the coping, thus less when you fill it to the middle of the skimmer.

Well maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought, but like I said, I'm kinda anal! FC dropped from slam level of 31 and is holding steady at 24 with no CC. Water sparkles like never before and it was everything I could do today not to jump in it after working on the yard all day. Now if we could just get some sun to burn of the chlorine so I can retest and get on to other projects.

Current readings are FC-24 (no OCLT loss), CC-<0.5, CH-400, TA-130, CYA-55 and PH-7.8. I know PH is not necessarily accurate at such high FC, but don't know how/if the other measurements are effected by high FC also. Can I call it good to go and then ??? Adjustments required at this time or just wait for the FC to drop?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.