18' Round Dead Zones

Aug 12, 2013
South Louisiana
I have an 18' and have two dead zones I can't figure out how to fix. One is the curve just past the inlet eye because, despite how hard I turn the eye, the flow doesn't hit the wall until about 15' down. The other is down flow side of my Confer entry steps. Brushing DAILY manages the problem. If I don't brush daily I will get algae in those areas. The rest of the pool will be crystal clear and sparkling.

I read some old posts but not sure the best correction. Should I continue to brush or is it worth trying one of the 90 degree inlet products? Would running my pump on high help with the steps or should I trash them and go with a ladder?

Thanks in advance.

It may or may not help you, but...

I discovered that 3/4" PVC pipe can be press-fit inside my return eyeballs. So I cut some short pieces and I've been experimenting with Tees and 45's and 90's to adjust my flow. Everything is just friction fit, so I can pull out the unsightly things if there will be curious kids in the pool. You might get lucky and discover you can do something similar.

I grabbed a 90° elbow n increased the eyeball n pushed that on and I Can point it down to the bottom or let it ripple the top along the wall and wow I'm impressed with it, I'll never put the eyeball back on.

I have an intex but I changed my fittings to standard Hayward 1.5" threaded fittings. I bought a 90 degree threaded pvc elbow at Lowes and screwed it into my return. I tried the official eyeball fittings and didn't like them but the pvc elbow is awesome! It makes a nice whirlpool. :)

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Beens's idea was easiest and seems to have solved my problem. Time will tell for sure, but it's keeping the flow at the wall. I did have to wrap the threads with Teflon tape to keep enough tension so I can adjust it where I want and it will stay. If I tighten it all of the way down it if facing the skimmer.

Thanks again for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.