Need Advice on Water Balancing and Water Bugs

Lweber40

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2014
Friendswood, TX
We finished our pool late last year and have been using Pool Math to keep it balanced. But something got away from us recently and we could use some advice I think. The thing I first noticed were bugs swimming in our water last night! Ewe! My research indicates that these are probably water boats and backswimmers which may indicate an algae problem? I haven't seen any sign of algae but last week we had a terrible rain and the pool was very murky in the morning. We tested the water and there was 0 FC. So we added bleach and got it back up very quickly. But a week later I notice these bugs. Here are our test results as of this morning:

FC - 11
CC - 0.5
PH - 7.4
TA - 70
CH - 200
CYA - 50
Temp - 81

Pool Math says to add 13oz (vol) Borax and 56oz (vol) Baking Soda which we added today. Tomorrow we'll add the recommended 71 oz Calcium Chloride.

OK, so far?

My question is, Should we have slammed the pool since the FC went to 0? We've never had any CC showing at all until this week, so something has definitely changed.

Can we have your advice please?

Thanks much,
Lynn

There's zero harm in bringing it up to SLAM numbers until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria. If your water looks good I'd bet it would be a day or two SLAM job. Just make sure you pass all three criteria.

I wanted to report back on my progress. I completed a two day slam and as of this morning, passed the three steps a successful slam. And this morning, the swimming bugs had moved on! Yay! Amazing how solving one problem fixed the other! Today, pool looks clear and bright even though it is overcast today. Thank you very much for this valuable site. We've ditched the pucks as our cya was getting out of control and now will only use TFP's method. I've attached pictures as it seems like many of you like them. Thank you again.

Soon to be a lifetime supporter,image.jpgimage.jpg
Lynn

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.